8800NL2 connected to VR600 to extend network - wifi issue

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL
Post Reply
RedRobo
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:56 pm

8800NL2 connected to VR600 to extend network - wifi issue

Post by RedRobo » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:27 pm

I have 8800NL R2 (latest firmware) upstairs, connected to internet, SSDID1, DHCP enabled, DHCP range 192.168.1.64 to 253, IP address .254

To extend my coverage, downstairs I have VR600, in AP mode, DHCP disabled, IP 192.168.1.2, SSID2 Both units are connected via cable.

The wired devices connected to the VR600 are fine. I can see the VR600 (identified by MAC) in the 8800 RP Neighbor Cache table. I know I'm using different SSIDs, but I've also tried the same SSID.

If a phone is connected to 8800 via wifi and then connected to VR600, I have to wait approx 10 mins until the phone connects. During this time, I can see the phone in the ARP table via MAC/IP with a status of "incomplete"

If the phone is then switched to the 8800 wifi then it connects immediately with the same IP.

Anyone got any suggestions as to why I have to wait 10 mins when moving from Billion to VR600? I couldn't find anything on google.

Thanks

billion_fan
Posts: 5176
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Re: 8800NL2 connected to VR600 to extend network - wifi issue

Post by billion_fan » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:26 am

RedRobo wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:27 pm
I have 8800NL R2 (latest firmware) upstairs, connected to internet, SSDID1, DHCP enabled, DHCP range 192.168.1.64 to 253, IP address .254

To extend my coverage, downstairs I have VR600, in AP mode, DHCP disabled, IP 192.168.1.2, SSID2 Both units are connected via cable.

The wired devices connected to the VR600 are fine. I can see the VR600 (identified by MAC) in the 8800 RP Neighbor Cache table. I know I'm using different SSIDs, but I've also tried the same SSID.

If a phone is connected to 8800 via wifi and then connected to VR600, I have to wait approx 10 mins until the phone connects. During this time, I can see the phone in the ARP table via MAC/IP with a status of "incomplete"

If the phone is then switched to the 8800 wifi then it connects immediately with the same IP.

Anyone got any suggestions as to why I have to wait 10 mins when moving from Billion to VR600? I couldn't find anything on google.

Thanks

Its hard to comment as the issue seems to be between the client and VR600, the only time I have seen the 'Incomplete' flag is when the device has failed to connect properly to the network.

Update, have you tried to change the Ethernet cable connection between the 8800NL and the VR600 or when the issue occurs trying connecting to the VR600 from behind the 8800NL (to check connectivity between the 8800NL and VR600)

RedRobo
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:56 pm

Re: 8800NL2 connected to VR600 to extend network - wifi issue

Post by RedRobo » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:12 pm

Thanks for the reply

It is a brand new Ethernet cable.

I did this test.

iPad and iPhone connected to vr600 Wi-fi. Swapped both to 8800 Wi-fi. Both connect immediately. On iPad opened open web gui to 8800 and vr600. Swapped iPhone back to vr600.

Nothing visible in vr600 logs or for connected devices. On 8800 I can see iPhone ip in arp table but not dhcp table. At this point it is reporting “complete” in the arp table. After 5 mins, the status changes to “incomplete”. After another 5 mins I have connection from the iPhone to the vr600. On the 8800 the iPhone appears in the dhcp table and arp table, with a status of complete.

Same thing happened when I switched iPad back to vr600.

Nothing of interest in the 8800 log. On the vr600 I noticed warning messages from earlier in the day that said “v2 igmp router occurred. Not matching ours v3”.

Is there anything that would occur after 5 *60 = 300 seconds.

Thanks

billion_fan
Posts: 5176
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Re: 8800NL2 connected to VR600 to extend network - wifi issue

Post by billion_fan » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:25 am

RedRobo wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:12 pm
Thanks for the reply

It is a brand new Ethernet cable.

I did this test.

iPad and iPhone connected to vr600 Wi-fi. Swapped both to 8800 Wi-fi. Both connect immediately. On iPad opened open web gui to 8800 and vr600. Swapped iPhone back to vr600.

Nothing visible in vr600 logs or for connected devices. On 8800 I can see iPhone ip in arp table but not dhcp table. At this point it is reporting “complete” in the arp table. After 5 mins, the status changes to “incomplete”. After another 5 mins I have connection from the iPhone to the vr600. On the 8800 the iPhone appears in the dhcp table and arp table, with a status of complete.

Same thing happened when I switched iPad back to vr600.

Nothing of interest in the 8800 log. On the vr600 I noticed warning messages from earlier in the day that said “v2 igmp router occurred. Not matching ours v3”.

Is there anything that would occur after 5 *60 = 300 seconds.

Thanks
I am not sure, as when connecting to the 8800NL everything works fine, its just when connecting through the VR600 the issue occurs.

I can't think of anything with a time limit of 5 minutes within the 8800NL that would cause this issue

Post Reply