Slow speed test but normal download speed

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL
Post Reply
Siderstratos
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:42 pm

Slow speed test but normal download speed

Post by Siderstratos » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:55 pm

Hello,

I have recently purchased the 8800AXL R2 and am having an unusual issue. I am on Plusnet and on their supplied router I was getting a connection of around 59mbps. The speed tests I was running were reflecting this speed but constant lines drops so I thought I would try out a new router. Now I have it up and running it says my line rate is 65mbps (on the router status page) but when I run speed tests online im only getting 32mbps. Also, when I go to download files i get about 6-6.5 mb/sec which (if my maths are correct) is more in keeping with the line rate of 65mbps.

Can anyone shed any light on why this might be the case? I am connected via ethernet to the hub via powerline adapter (never had any issues with this). I am running the latest firmware 2.52.d10.

Many thanks
Antony

billion_fan
Posts: 5205
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Re: Slow speed test but normal download speed

Post by billion_fan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:27 am

Siderstratos wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:55 pm
Hello,

I have recently purchased the 8800AXL R2 and am having an unusual issue. I am on Plusnet and on their supplied router I was getting a connection of around 59mbps. The speed tests I was running were reflecting this speed but constant lines drops so I thought I would try out a new router. Now I have it up and running it says my line rate is 65mbps (on the router status page) but when I run speed tests online im only getting 32mbps. Also, when I go to download files i get about 6-6.5 mb/sec which (if my maths are correct) is more in keeping with the line rate of 65mbps.

Can anyone shed any light on why this might be the case? I am connected via ethernet to the hub via powerline adapter (never had any issues with this). I am running the latest firmware 2.52.d10.

Many thanks
Antony
Try a direct connection to the routers LAN port

newquaylad
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:44 am

Re: Slow speed test but normal download speed

Post by newquaylad » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:53 am

hi all
I too am having this very same issue,
i am with sky fibre max,
i was getting 55-65ish with the sky router on both wifi and ethernet
but with the 8800AXL R2 I'm getting the same on ethernet but wifi speeds are down to 25-30ish

any ideas why wifi on this router is worse?

took me ages to convince the misses we needed this router now i have it, I'm kinda thinking we didn't need it after all haha

billion_fan
Posts: 5205
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Re: Slow speed test but normal download speed

Post by billion_fan » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:22 am

newquaylad wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:53 am
hi all
I too am having this very same issue,
i am with sky fibre max,
i was getting 55-65ish with the sky router on both wifi and ethernet
but with the 8800AXL R2 I'm getting the same on ethernet but wifi speeds are down to 25-30ish

any ideas why wifi on this router is worse?

took me ages to convince the misses we needed this router now i have it, I'm kinda thinking we didn't need it after all haha
Your issue is different as your LAN speeds are normal, your issue is more related to the wireless performance

Try changing the channel the router outputs on, also try setting the 2.4ghz 'Bandwidth' to 20/40mhz for fastest speeds on the 2.4ghz band. (you can change the 'Bandwidth/Channel' under 'Configuration >> Wireless 2.4ghz >> Advanced'

newquaylad
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:44 am

Re: Slow speed test but normal download speed

Post by newquaylad » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:22 am

hi thanks for the reply.
I have opened a new post about my issues,

what do you mean about turning on router outputs?

Thanks

Siderstratos
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:42 pm

Re: Slow speed test but normal download speed

Post by Siderstratos » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:08 pm

The issue is the same with a direct connection to the router. I think the issue is the slow ramp up time and the speed tests generally are not long enough to see the final speed, its the same when downloading files. Weird situation, any ideas what might be causing it?

billion_fan
Posts: 5205
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Re: Slow speed test but normal download speed

Post by billion_fan » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:19 am

Siderstratos wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:08 pm
The issue is the same with a direct connection to the router. I think the issue is the slow ramp up time and the speed tests generally are not long enough to see the final speed, its the same when downloading files. Weird situation, any ideas what might be causing it?
Not sure that is a weird issue, try using the attached firmware which has a different DMT code.

Make a backup of your current config first save it as 2.52.d10 (so you know this config relates to 2.52.d10)

You might have to reconfigure the device once downgraded
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Reply