Can connect to Billion 7800N's VPN but no Internet Access

Supplanter357

Re: Can connect to Billion 7800N's VPN but no Internet Acces

Post by Supplanter357 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:19 am

Hello,

When you connect to your router and are given an IP address from it your device will route all traffic through that interface (unless you use the iPhone solution because it will only route traffic destined for your LAN to it and all other traffic over you carriers/public wifi network) The issue is as already stated, that a DNS server is not handed out to the device automatically. This means your device can't resolve host names against IP's and therefore you won't be able to land a web page. If you set the DNS servers to googles 8.8.8.8 and/or 8.8.4.4 on your VPN connection settings it will work. You can check whatsmyip.com to confirm it is infact your routers WAN address. The router routes traffic, the DNS resolves IP's against names. You would be able to browse the internet if you knew the IP address for each website.. You can try it by doing an nslookup from command prompt..

for example:

Go to start/run type cmd and hit return.

At the prompt type:

nslookup www.google.com

You will get a response like this

Non-authoriative answer:
Name: www.google.com
Addresses: 2a00:1450:4009:809::1010 (this is an IPv6 address)

The above are the IP addresses for www.google.com. Google is the host name which DNS resolves to the above IP addresses.

So if in your web browser you type http://173.194.41.179/ it will take you to www.google.com because you know the IP and DNS has not had to resolve it. http is the protocol so when you hit googles server it knows what service you want..

So basically telling your VPN connection the DNS servers which the Billion is unable to give out your device, Your device will route traffic over your routers connection but will be able to resolve hostnames because it can route 8.8.8.8 over your connection as the DNS server instead of your billion router.

Hopefully nice and clear.. Enjoy :D

davotoula

Post by davotoula » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:33 pm

I'm late to the party but have also had the same issue.

If the device allows switching between "send all traffic over VPN" then you can disable that and have internet working. PC/Mac usually allows this. The downside is that your internet traffic is not protected from logging/snooping should you want that and it will also originate in your current location rather than at the location of your router.

On devices that automatically force all traffic via the VPN tunnel the only resolution is to set DNS manually IF the device allows it.

My android phone forces all traffic via VPN tunnel but allows setting of DNS so I can browser internet while on VPN with my android phone. Apple iPad force traffic via VPN but don't allow setting of DNS server so I cannot surf internet while on those devices.

Another drawback is that the DNS requests will go via the local network and can be logged or even tampered with.

billion_fan

Post by billion_fan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:55 pm

davotoula wrote:I'm late to the party but have also had the same issue.

If the device allows switching between "send all traffic over VPN" then you can disable that and have internet working. PC/Mac usually allows this. The downside is that your internet traffic is not protected from logging/snooping should you want that and it will also originate in your current location rather than at the location of your router.

On devices that automatically force all traffic via the VPN tunnel the only resolution is to set DNS manually IF the device allows it.

My android phone forces all traffic via VPN tunnel but allows setting of DNS so I can browser internet while on VPN with my android phone. Apple iPad force traffic via VPN but don't allow setting of DNS server so I cannot surf internet while on those devices.

Another drawback is that the DNS requests will go via the local network and can be logged or even tampered with.
On your iPhone you should be able to disable 'Send All Traffic' option which will enable you to browse the internet while connected to the VPN, (this means traffic will not be routed over the VPN tunnel, but you can still can access devices connected at the other end over VPN)

tongclub62

Post by tongclub62 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:40 am

Hoo Yeah, i like that. :D :D

batgirl

Re: Can connect to Billion 7800N's VPN but no Internet Access

Post by batgirl » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:44 am

You can try this DNS server

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4