BiPac 8900AX 1600 R2 and TalkTalk Fibre

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
fallingforstars

BiPac 8900AX 1600 R2 and TalkTalk Fibre

Post by fallingforstars »

Hi all.
Querying my 21Mbps speed with TalkTalk yesterday I was told that I should be enjoying a better speed and that they would send me their latest router which would guarantee an increase in speed.
On hearing I'd setup the account not with their router he would not relay any figures so I could crosscheck settings.
Don't think I'd even get 21Mbps if I'd set it up wrong!
The Billion router works fine... I just need more speed as it is hovering dangerously close to their guaranteed minimum speed of 18Mbps. Anyone else got this router on the TalkTalk Fibre network and like to comment?
isablend

Re: BiPac 8900AX 1600 R2 and TalkTalk Fibre

Post by isablend »

@fallingforstars - I've got a BiPAC 8900AX2400 on TalkTalk 'Faster Fibre - Fibre medium' package (not sure which marketing clown came up with that name). With the supplied Huawei HG633 router I was getting somewhere in the region of max 18Mb downstream rate.

Interestingly the service is promised as;

"Your estimated download Speed will be between 6.27 Mb and 15.87 Mb
Your estimated upload Speed will be between 2.00 Mb and 0.80 Mb
We guarantee a minimum speed of at least 3.85 Mb"

When swapped out for the Billion router I'm up to steady state just over 22Mb (stated maximum for the package is 38Mb but I don't think I'll ever see that). Upload speed is 2Mb. The other observation is the reduction to almost zero of drop-outs. My heating system reports broadband drop-outs and I was experiencing them almost on a daily basis prior to swap out, now haven't had any in 4+ weeks. The in-house wireless performance is on a different planet (867Mb for main PC through thick brick wall, but reasonable proximity).

The router reports Attainable Rate (Kbps) downstream 23447 and upstream 5294.
PDilly

Post by PDilly »

Hi isablend,
I've just ordered a 2400 to get shot of the TalkTalk fibre HG633.
Apart from setting 0 and 101 in the right place, are there any other setup tweaks or issues I need to think about?
I don't have TT TV so nothing to do there.
I'll take a note of my network settings from my piggy-backed 7800N and enter any that I need for a smooth transition.
Many thanks
isablend

Post by isablend »

@fallingforstars - only issue I had was to do with my work ipsec based VPN which wouldn't connect, but billion_fan solved that for me with the following procedure

1. Login to router
2. Click on 'Configuration >> NAT >> ALG'
3. Disable the 'IPSec' option
4. Click on 'Apply'
5. Try your VPN connection again

after that all good.
fallingforstars

PDilly wrote:Hi isablend,
I've just ordered a 2400 to get shot of the TalkTalk fibre HG633.
Apart from setting 0 and 101 in the right place, are there any other setup tweaks or issues I need to think about?
I don't have TT TV so nothing to do there.
I'll take a note of my network settings from my piggy-backed 7800N and enter any that I need for a smooth transition.
Many thanks
Don't know if you're contemplating Netflix but I found turning off IPv6 seems to cure the problem of stalling when accessing Netflix through Apple TV (gen 4).
PDilly

Post by PDilly »

No, I don't watch Netflix yet... but I do have do have an Apple TV box (not the latest)

I don't think TT is geared up for IPV6 but I'll watch the settings anyway.

Did the switch over have any effect on interleaving? I'm stuck on 1611 at present. Mine is good copper line not too far from the cabinet and was giving almost 30mbs at one time. Down to 26 now.

Regards
fallingforstars

isablend wrote:@fallingforstars - I've got a BiPAC 8900AX2400 on TalkTalk 'Faster Fibre - Fibre medium' package (not sure which marketing clown came up with that name). With the supplied Huawei HG633 router I was getting somewhere in the region of max 18Mb downstream rate.

When swapped out for the Billion router I'm up to steady state just over 22Mb (stated maximum for the package is 38Mb but I don't think I'll ever see that). Upload speed is 2Mb. The other observation is the reduction to almost zero of drop-outs. My heating system reports broadband drop-outs and I was experiencing them almost on a daily basis prior to swap out, now haven't had any in 4+ weeks. The in-house wireless performance is on a different planet (867Mb for main PC through thick brick wall, but reasonable proximity).

Where is this Attainable rate figure in the menu? I've been looking for the maximum sync speed and can't seem to find it.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

fallingforstars wrote:
isablend wrote:@fallingforstars - I've got a BiPAC 8900AX2400 on TalkTalk 'Faster Fibre - Fibre medium' package (not sure which marketing clown came up with that name). With the supplied Huawei HG633 router I was getting somewhere in the region of max 18Mb downstream rate.

Where is this Attainable rate figure in the menu? I've been looking for the maximum sync speed and can't seem to find it.
You can find it once logged into the router under 'Status >> Statistics >> xDSL (screen shot example attached)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fallingforstars

Many thanks for that.
fallingforstars

PDilly wrote:No, I don't watch Netflix yet... but I do have do have an Apple TV box (not the latest)

I don't think TT is geared up for IPV6 but I'll watch the settings anyway.

Did the switch over have any effect on interleaving? I'm stuck on 1611 at present. Mine is good copper line not too far from the cabinet and was giving almost 30mbs at one time. Down to 26 now.

Regards
No perceptible difference currently between the Billion and TT router. Currently trying to get TT to sort out my abyssmal 16Mbps.