7800DXL guest mode

Rob500

7800DXL guest mode

Post by Rob500 »

Hi,

I am planning to purchase a 7800DXL but need to be sure that it can be used to provide guest Wi-Fi access - i.e. I need to be able to use it to provide access to the internet to selected Wi-Fi users but without them being about to access anything on the LAN. I have seen adverts they say this is possible but have had a look at the user guide and cannot see how this is setup. Can anybody confirm that this is possible?

As a secondary question, can anyone comment on how good this model's Wi-Fi range is?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Aeschylus

Re: 7800DXL guest mode

Post by Aeschylus »

The one Amazon review says the wireless range is not the strongest.. I presume it is because of the 5ghz
Philip_L

Post by Philip_L »

Hi

I've not used the 7800DXL but I'm pretty certain it supports Guest mode as previous models do (7800N), normally just a single check box called LAN Isolation or similar.

The specs for this model state: Multiple wireless SSIDs with wireless guest access and client isolation

Regards

Phil
Rob500

Post by Rob500 »

Thanks for the response. I've also seen the specs but I'm not fully clear from then on exactly what this allows, particularly since I saw something somewhere that implied a firmware upgrade was need to allow the isolation. It would also help to know if each of the SSIDs can be isolated from each other as well as from the LAN or whether the isolation is only from the LAN.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Rob500 wrote:Thanks for the response. I've also seen the specs but I'm not fully clear from then on exactly what this allows, particularly since I saw something somewhere that implied a firmware upgrade was need to allow the isolation. It would also help to know if each of the SSIDs can be isolated from each other as well as from the LAN or whether the isolation is only from the LAN.
You have three guest SSID's for each 2.4ghz and 5gz band.

Each SSID can be isolated from the LAN, and from each other.

So main SSID's will be grouped with the LAN ports 1-4. (Default setting)

The guest SSID will have to be enabled, then you use the "Interface Grouping" section to add this SSID to its own group.

Then tick the 'Groups Isolation' box and this SSID should be isoloated from the two main SSIDs (2.4ghz,5ghz) and all lan ports.

You can setup a extra group for any of the LAN ports if needed, eg LAN port 1 in a different group from LAN port 2 etc

I hope this helps :D
Rob500

Post by Rob500 »

Thanks very much indeed that explains it very well. I assume each SSID group can then be given its own password/Wi-Fi key?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Rob500 wrote:Thanks very much indeed that explains it very well. I assume each SSID group can then be given its own password/Wi-Fi key?
Yes