SNR

swatboy79

Re: SNR

Post by swatboy79 »

kenny70 wrote:That's the only problem and frustration I have with the 7800dxl if I had known it was to be limited SNR tweak then I would have went for the older model and saved some money, right now im very close to plugging my netgear 834gt back in as I can tweak that all the way down to 3, yes some say its a bit complicated but if you cabt work it out should you really be playing with SNR in first place.

So what chances of an update to allow us who don't have a perfect 6db being able to tweak it as required for me that's going from 12 down to 3?
Well Kenny you pretty much confirmed what I expected even from your first post, right now I have a sunny 6db sync with BE and i had moved it from 3db so I could get the numbers in perfect alignment

The 834gt is great however setting up NAT rules etc is a nightmare if you like to keep things tidy, but at least we have it has good old faithful.

It is a software thing we can get Billion to give as an answer and fix it, the 7800N (it also used a factor method like the 834gt) was a bit unstable whenever I set the SNR so as far as Billion goes the 7800DXL is a step in the right direction.

Not everyone will have a 6db sync or an option to set it there, so they will have to put a fix in cos it doesn't make sense how it works right now.
kenny70

Post by kenny70 »

my snr has went up to around 16 over the last week or so for some reason (I expect my son has been unplugging the router) meaning the max I can bring it down to is now 11, sunday I plugged in my old netgear dg834gt and tweaked the snr down to 6 its never dropped line once and has almost doubled my speed, despite my efforts BT wont reduce my snr I've asked but get nowhere.

so i'm left with a choice of using the 7800xdl or stick to netgear (despite some of its problems) but being able to run the line at a speed I know it can take, I expect the 7800xdl to be on ebay pretty soon its a nice bit of kit and my first billion product but the limited snr tweak is a major problem for me.

kenny
swatboy79

Post by swatboy79 »

get a LLU line.
kenny70

Post by kenny70 »

we are very close to having fftc enabled on our cabinet so don't know if I want to start a new contract, the fftc just appeared out of the blue saw road works one day and a fftc cabinet the next not sure when it will get connected but I would think by july
swatboy79

Post by swatboy79 »

Happy days! :D
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

kenny70 wrote:my snr has went up to around 16 over the last week or so for some reason (I expect my son has been unplugging the router) meaning the max I can bring it down to is now 11, sunday I plugged in my old netgear dg834gt and tweaked the snr down to 6 its never dropped line once and has almost doubled my speed, despite my efforts BT wont reduce my snr I've asked but get nowhere.

so i'm left with a choice of using the 7800xdl or stick to netgear (despite some of its problems) but being able to run the line at a speed I know it can take, I expect the 7800xdl to be on ebay pretty soon its a nice bit of kit and my first billion product but the limited snr tweak is a major problem for me.

kenny

Hi kenny70

Have you tried a SNR setting of 4093?
kenny70

Post by kenny70 »

Excellent where did that value come from and is there others I can use?

kenny
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

kenny70 wrote:Excellent where did that value come from and is there others I can use?

kenny

Did this setting bring your SNR value down to 3db??
kenny70

Post by kenny70 »

hi
yes it did, was just wondering if there was maths to this as it would be good if I could pull it back a little if I needed to

kenny
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

kenny70 wrote:hi
yes it did, was just wondering if there was maths to this as it would be good if I could pull it back a little if I needed to

kenny
Do you mean lower the SNR further??

I had to use the 7800N SNR tweak as reference then as you stated do some math.

I might release a table soon that will help others when tweaking the SNR