8800AXL as an Extender/Repeater (2023)

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
mr2gti

8800AXL as an Extender/Repeater (2023)

Post by mr2gti »

Evening all.

Yes yes, I know this has been covered a fair few times and I may be barking up the wrong tree with what I am hoping I can do - but I thought I'd ask :)

3 weeks ago, we had BT FTTC to the house with the 8800AXL doing the Modem work, then an EWAN connection to my Asus RT-AX88U Router which did all the hardwork routing out the Wi-Fi and wired connections.

We have just had Full Fibre fitted (MS3 Networks) and the 8800AXL is now redundant as the Asus is doing the whole work. For now.

In the shed, I have a TP-Link Extender TL-WA850RE. This is alright, it does the job I guess - but it's a bit "Boring".

Is there a way to have the 8800AXL chatter to the Asus over 5Ghz and take the place of the TP Link unit - providing 2.4GHz Wi-fi from the shed and have the Ethernet connections available the items in the shed?

I have followed some guides as stated on here, but there seems to be a these that it's basically best as Billion to Billion and identical chipsets.

I've not got it working thus far, so beer tokens on stand-by if this is possible.

Kind regards, all.
billion_fan

Re: 8800AXL as an Extender/Repeater (2023)

Post by billion_fan »

mr2gti wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:22 pm Evening all.

Yes yes, I know this has been covered a fair few times and I may be barking up the wrong tree with what I am hoping I can do - but I thought I'd ask :)

3 weeks ago, we had BT FTTC to the house with the 8800AXL doing the Modem work, then an EWAN connection to my Asus RT-AX88U Router which did all the hardwork routing out the Wi-Fi and wired connections.

We have just had Full Fibre fitted (MS3 Networks) and the 8800AXL is now redundant as the Asus is doing the whole work. For now.

In the shed, I have a TP-Link Extender TL-WA850RE. This is alright, it does the job I guess - but it's a bit "Boring".

Is there a way to have the 8800AXL chatter to the Asus over 5Ghz and take the place of the TP Link unit - providing 2.4GHz Wi-fi from the shed and have the Ethernet connections available the items in the shed?

I have followed some guides as stated on here, but there seems to be a these that it's basically best as Billion to Billion and identical chipsets.

I've not got it working thus far, so beer tokens on stand-by if this is possible.

Kind regards, all.
Can't be done over wireless, if a wired connection from your Asus to the shed was available then yes.

(as you have stated you can't use WDS as compatibility issues between the chipsets )
mr2gti

Re: 8800AXL as an Extender/Repeater (2023)

Post by mr2gti »

Perfect - answers it perfectly.

I'm not laying a cable for a bit of vanity lol. The TP Link will be fine.

Many thanks