ETH4 as 2nd EWAN IPoE port?

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
jasonmfarrow

ETH4 as 2nd EWAN IPoE port?

Post by jasonmfarrow »

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a way to configure one of the four standard Ethernet ports, say Eth4, as a second EWAN/IPoE port?

I have FTTP and use the EWAN port connection to my Virgin Media modem. I have a second 4G modem for backup (which also provides EWAN connectivity) and I'd like to use this in a spare Ethernet port as a back up and have it failover to that port if the main EWAN/ETH5 port suffers a failure.

It's the automated failover I'm most interested in as otherwise I have to swap ethernet cables in EWAN/Eth5 in the event of failure or fail-back.

Can this be done?
billion_fan

Re: ETH4 as 2nd EWAN IPoE port?

Post by billion_fan »

jasonmfarrow wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:28 pm Hi All,

Does anyone know of a way to configure one of the four standard Ethernet ports, say Eth4, as a second EWAN/IPoE port?

I have FTTP and use the EWAN port connection to my Virgin Media modem. I have a second 4G modem for backup (which also provides EWAN connectivity) and I'd like to use this in a spare Ethernet port as a back up and have it failover to that port if the main EWAN/ETH5 port suffers a failure.

It's the automated failover I'm most interested in as otherwise I have to swap ethernet cables in EWAN/Eth5 in the event of failure or fail-back.

Can this be done?
Can't be done (no failover/fallback option between two ETH WAN's within the web gui)
jasonmfarrow

Post by jasonmfarrow »

Thank you Billion_fan.

What would be the best billion replacement (for my 8900 AX2400) that would provide FTTP/EWAN and 4G/5G as failover without needing a dongle of any kind? A 5500 or 4520 sounds interesting but they don't appear available anywhere and don't have the multiple wireless SSID support that I'm currently using.

Cheers.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

jasonmfarrow wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:11 pm Thank you Billion_fan.

What would be the best billion replacement (for my 8900 AX2400) that would provide FTTP/EWAN and 4G/5G as failover without needing a dongle of any kind? A 5500 or 4520 sounds interesting but they don't appear available anywhere and don't have the multiple wireless SSID support that I'm currently using.

Cheers.
The 5500A does support multiple SSID's, and EWAN failover to 5G via sim card, see attached screen shots,

I am checking with our engineers about group isolation for multiple SSID's/LAN while still working off the failover/fallback connection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.