Syslog - disable "-- MARK --"

Got a suggestion or want to add something to our future wishlist?

Would you like to be able to disable --mark-- in the syslog?

Yes, I'd like that.
50%
No, it's a bad idea.
No votes
Don't care - don't use syslog.
13%
Would prefer another way to capture the System Log, eg email, Evernote, etc.
38%

Total votes: 8

MartinP99

Syslog - disable "-- MARK --"

Post by MartinP99 »

I have a 7800n, which doesn't seem to have the facility to mail (or otherwise capture) the system log when it's about to wrap around / start overwriting earlier entries. As a workaround, I've set it up to push the syslog to my NAS (Advanced / Configuration / System / Syslog).

This seems to work fine, except that my NAS spends most of it's time with the discs spun down. Unfortunately, because the router writes "syslog -- MARK --" every hour, my NAS is spinning it's discs up every hour. This is annoying as it is using more power and putting out more heat, will be having some affect on the lifetime of my disks, and the noise sometimes wakes me up in the middle of the night.

Suggestion: allow the "syslog -- MARK --" to be disabled on the syslog (could perhaps leaving it active on internal System Log).
Alternative: allow some other way to capture the System Log, eg by mailing it out, saving to Evernote, etc - either daily and/or when it's about to wrap.

One good thing - the NAS has four disks that spin up one-at-a-time. This takes quite a while, and I'd feared this might lockup the router while it was waiting, but it doesn't seem to affect performance of the router at all.

cheers, Martin
Billion 7800N