Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
ricke17

Re: Billion BiPAC 8800AXL - plusnet configeration

Post by ricke17 »

Yeh - a bargain!
ricke17

Post by ricke17 »

Am all set up albeit having to call support (who were very patient!).

Cheers for your help.

Rick.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

ricke17 wrote:Am all set up albeit having to call support (who were very patient!).

Cheers for your help.

Rick.
That great news, I think I spoke to you (setting up the VLAN ID to 101 and 802.1P Priority to 0)
ricke17

Post by ricke17 »

Really? Haha.

Usually I am pretty good at technology but I am not used to a router with so many configuration options, since the HH5 has next to nothing to change, hence I was a bit confused.

It has definitely improved speeds and I am now near on 80/20 - have sorted the DNS out and fathomed out how to save settings in case I muck things up.

I have never spent so much on a router before and always relied on the ISP's free ones, but wish I had bought this a while back.

Does it auto-update in regards to firmware or will you announce on here as and when a new firmware is made available?

Cheers for your help this morning by the way!

Ricardo.

P.S. Is there anywhere to register the router or should I just keep the receipt etc
ricke17

Post by ricke17 »

Oh, and the dlna options - does this give me the option to plug in an external hard drive and use it as a NAS device?

I currently have a WD My Cloud in situ which allows me to back up to it and watch content from it on my TV; so will me plugging in an external hard drive allow for me to watch content on my TV too?

Cheers and sorry for the questions etc!
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

ricke17 wrote:Really? Haha.

Usually I am pretty good at technology but I am not used to a router with so many configuration options, since the HH5 has next to nothing to change, hence I was a bit confused.

It has definitely improved speeds and I am now near on 80/20 - have sorted the DNS out and fathomed out how to save settings in case I muck things up.

I have never spent so much on a router before and always relied on the ISP's free ones, but wish I had bought this a while back.

Does it auto-update in regards to firmware or will you announce on here as and when a new firmware is made available?

Cheers for your help this morning by the way!

Ricardo.

P.S. Is there anywhere to register the router or should I just keep the receipt etc
You need to manually update the router, once I have a newer firmware I will post it on the forum or our official web site

There is no need to register the device with us, just keep a copy of your purchase invoice :D
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

ricke17 wrote:Oh, and the dlna options - does this give me the option to plug in an external hard drive and use it as a NAS device?

I currently have a WD My Cloud in situ which allows me to back up to it and watch content from it on my TV; so will me plugging in an external hard drive allow for me to watch content on my TV too?

Yep as long as DLNA is enabled on the router (it might not like some video files eg MKV files, but that's more a limitation on the TV eg my Samsung tv won't play MKV files via DLNA off my windows machine, so I won't expect to play them off a hard drive connected to the router either)
ricke17

Post by ricke17 »

billion_fan wrote:
ricke17 wrote:Oh, and the dlna options - does this give me the option to plug in an external hard drive and use it as a NAS device?

Yep as long as DLNA is enabled on the router (it might not like some video files eg MKV files, but that's more a limitation on the TV)
I'll keep the receipt and keep a look out for any firmware updates. And will most likely be posting more questions haha!

That is awesome re dlna - the WD Mycloud was quite pricey and external harddrives are much cheaper - just testing out a 64gb usb to see if I can get it to work (have activated dlna on the router) - will keep you posted. Actually will the attached USB show up on my Mac so I can drag and drop files over? Or is it more that I do it from my Mac and then attach?

Rick.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

ricke17 wrote:
billion_fan wrote:

Yep as long as DLNA is enabled on the router (it might not like some video files eg MKV files, but that's more a limitation on the TV)
I'll keep the receipt and keep a look out for any firmware updates. And will most likely be posting more questions haha!

That is awesome re dlna - the WD Mycloud was quite pricey and external harddrives are much cheaper - just testing out a 64gb usb to see if I can get it to work (have activated dlna on the router) - will keep you posted. Actually will the attached USB show up on my Mac so I can drag and drop files over? Or is it more that I do it from my Mac and then attach?

Rick.
I would attach it to the mac first copy the files over and then plug it back to router when needed (you might not want to keep the HD connected to the router, as it will always be running)
ricke17

Post by ricke17 »

OK cool - makes sense - thanks!