Router password issues

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
MysteryFCM

Router password issues

Post by MysteryFCM »

Couple of issues with the 8800NL I just purchased.

1. Password is limited to 15 chars??
2. Most of the following result in an "invalid" error when attempting to change the password to them;

Code: Select all

B^$tt(YB7~Lt94¬
l<zs)Qb/(:;uVJS
9;Lx)LN%]^\2ey5
5$lUZ`3}UShP{EF
BZ&1P(oE~;0ql;/
`1IAk4j*{j<|`q1
fFetddKnVcDdvay
Tx>[niAJ`%C6O^m
FfpRy^|_Ynpl.MJ
[¬};\£He#IF3$ug
^:tcLE\£0ypQ6DN
#]xd:;0j_/f}z^Q
~6krsJDS)IAg|VE
hL[DaUvR|5BB$[i
Ul&EG0£^NYP:K;\
.r£r8czQxubNcp
j|NM£\]4}8-\C;7
3\M0o\£j2]*\|h6
}]d(cvV~z^GFvHv
%bHYs{XGkOcv~q1
I tried a simple "1 special char" 15 char (14 alphanumeric) password, with the special char being a pound sign. The router accepted the password, however, upon attempting to re-login, auth failed (password was copy/pasted to prevent typos), 10 attempts later and I was forced to factory reset it??

Other than that (and there being no warning of what activating the "LAN Side Firewall" will do (my fault really, should've looked it up first, would've saved a factory reset -> config restore)), I love it so far (now off to try and find the VLAN option (I like to isolate my networks (LAN1, LAN2 etc etc) where possible)), as long as I can find the VLAN option, I'll be getting another couple (have a Home Hub 3 I got with the BT Business connection that needs replaced) (unless you've got a more appropriate option available* (ideally with more than 3 LAN ports (6 would be ideal), site to site VPN support - and at least an option to change the ports used for the 8800's internal FTP/SSH (I know it'll do this itself when I port-forward, but this isn't really helpful, especially in the case of HTTP and SSH (all other routers work fine on port 80 (no change required, router can still be accessed on 80), even when 80 itself is forwarded to the edge router (this one isn't a major problem, I can get used to it - was just a minor niggle))).

Ah one more thing, any chance of an update to allow CIDR notation (instead of just single IPv4/IPv6 IP') in the static IP options (have a block of 4 from the ISP, will be easier if I can just pop it into the router and deal with them there (found an option to do it for one IP, but not more than one, unless I missed it?)).

* Wouldn't mind if it's twice the price of the 8800NL (that was cheap anyway, compared to the older offerings (was originally going to get a couple of 7800DX's but Amazon sold out)).
billion_fan

Re: Router password issues

Post by billion_fan »

MysteryFCM wrote:Couple of issues with the 8800NL I just purchased.

1. Password is limited to 15 chars??
2. Most of the following result in an "invalid" error when attempting to change the password to them;

Code: Select all

B^$tt(YB7~Lt94¬
l<zs)Qb/(:;uVJS
9;Lx)LN%]^\2ey5
5$lUZ`3}UShP{EF
BZ&1P(oE~;0ql;/
`1IAk4j*{j<|`q1
fFetddKnVcDdvay
Tx>[niAJ`%C6O^m
FfpRy^|_Ynpl.MJ
[¬};\£He#IF3$ug
^:tcLE\£0ypQ6DN
#]xd:;0j_/f}z^Q
~6krsJDS)IAg|VE
hL[DaUvR|5BB$[i
Ul&EG0£^NYP:K;\
.r£r8czQxubNcp
j|NM£\]4}8-\C;7
3\M0o\£j2]*\|h6
}]d(cvV~z^GFvHv
%bHYs{XGkOcv~q1
I tried a simple "1 special char" 15 char (14 alphanumeric) password, with the special char being a pound sign. The router accepted the password, however, upon attempting to re-login, auth failed (password was copy/pasted to prevent typos), 10 attempts later and I was forced to factory reset it??

Other than that (and there being no warning of what activating the "LAN Side Firewall" will do (my fault really, should've looked it up first, would've saved a factory reset -> config restore)), I love it so far (now off to try and find the VLAN option (I like to isolate my networks (LAN1, LAN2 etc etc) where possible)), as long as I can find the VLAN option, I'll be getting another couple (have a Home Hub 3 I got with the BT Business connection that needs replaced) (unless you've got a more appropriate option available* (ideally with more than 3 LAN ports (6 would be ideal), site to site VPN support - and at least an option to change the ports used for the 8800's internal FTP/SSH (I know it'll do this itself when I port-forward, but this isn't really helpful, especially in the case of HTTP and SSH (all other routers work fine on port 80 (no change required, router can still be accessed on 80), even when 80 itself is forwarded to the edge router (this one isn't a major problem, I can get used to it - was just a minor niggle))).

Ah one more thing, any chance of an update to allow CIDR notation (instead of just single IPv4/IPv6 IP') in the static IP options (have a block of 4 from the ISP, will be easier if I can just pop it into the router and deal with them there (found an option to do it for one IP, but not more than one, unless I missed it?)).

* Wouldn't mind if it's twice the price of the 8800NL (that was cheap anyway, compared to the older offerings (was originally going to get a couple of 7800DX's but Amazon sold out)).
1. Yes that's correct the password is limited to 15 characters
2. Some characters can not be used as they are also used within the code of the router, and once set it just messes everything up
3. Lan side firewall is for blocking isolated networks from accessing the router
4. The VLAN option to isolate ports/guest wifi networks can be found under 'Interface Grouping' (Configuration >> LAN >> Interface Grouping) the setup method is listed below

Example

1. Click on Interface Grouping (once logged into the router under 'Configuration >> LAN')
2. Click on 'Add'
3. Enter a 'Group Name' eg guest
4. Under 'Available LAN Interfaces' select your 'Guest Network' and click on the arrow pointing left, so the guest wifi network should now be added to 'Grouped LAN Interfaces'
5. Click on 'Apply'
6. Under 'Group Isolation' tick the box and click on 'Apply'
7. Click on 'LAN >> Ethernet'
8. Under 'Group Name' select your guest wifi group for this example I used 'guest'
9. Tick 'LAN Side Firewall' and click on 'Apply'

That should be it, the guest wifi network should be totally isolated.

5. I don't think you can change the routers SSH or FTP ports, you can change the HTTP port (all routers work the same if port 80 is forwarded to another device you cannot access another device on port 80 unless you use port re-direct, eg you try and access http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 and points to the 8800NL, so how will http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80 also be able to point to another device as they are using the same external port, internally is different story)
6. I have no information on updated models that will support VDSL/VPN at the moment
7. If you want to use a range of static IP's please use the one to one NAT function as shown on the attached link http://www.billion.uk.com/edu/VDSL2/index.html

I hope this helps :D
MysteryFCM

Re: Router password issues

Post by MysteryFCM »

Much appreciated, cheers :)