DHCP IP address issues with multiple AP's

General discussions for anything not model specific
PDilly

DHCP IP address issues with multiple AP's

Post by PDilly »

In my study I have a 7800N as my main wireless router. it is the only DHCP server.
Connected to it by LAN to LAN port is a Linksys WRT54GS router in my lounge with wireless off so it just acts as a switch. Connected to that by LAN is a 3100N wireless AP. I also have another 3100N set as a wireless extender to the 7800N in my annex.

The wireless SSIDs/passwords are identical, the main router and lounge wireless run on the same channel (11) and the annex wireless runs on 12. IP addresses are leased for 24 hours. Subnets are all the same.

I have 4 wireless devices; a Samsung tablet, 2 iphones and and an ipad. The tablet operates fine all the time but rarely leaves the house. The ios devices come and go and to all intents and purposes roam quite happily between wireless APs.

However, whilst each ios device can surf the net, get email and download/upload, they are sometimes not visible to other devices on the network. i.e. they can't be pinged successfully. Turning the offending device's WiFi off and back on or renewing the IP lease from the device cures the problem but it shouldn't be necessary.

The four LAN/WiFi APs have IPs 251-254 and DHCP pool is 100-200. There are no duplicates to be found though wireless devices connecting from the lounge end up LAN based at the main router but are WiFi based when in the study.

It appears that all devices connect properly when connected by WiFi at the main 7800N router but lose the plot when connected in the lounge.

The annex wireless is too far away to bother the other two

I wouldn't bother to resolve it but I have a Sonos speaker network which always needs to see my wireless devices to be controlled by them

any thoughts anyone
billion_fan

Re: DHCP IP address issues with multiple AP's

Post by billion_fan »

Try setting up fixed host (found under DHCP sever) rules for the wireless devices in question (the ones that you cannot ping)
PDilly

Post by PDilly »

Thank you, I'll give that a try.
Failing that, I will perhaps swap the old Linksys router for a 6 port switch which is really all I need.
A switch is after all, designed specifically for that purpose

Pete
PDilly

Post by PDilly »

PS

I may have messed up on the settings:

I think the Linksys and the lounge 3800N have fixed IP's in them and are backed up by static ARP's in the 7800N router. both are wired.

I've also set the annex 3800N with a static IP but it also has a Static ARP in the 7800N. It probably shouldn't be there since it's a WDS repeater.

...1.254 is the 7800N the others are 251,2 &3.

Is this part of problem.

should they just be fixed host?

Thanks

Pete
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

PDilly wrote:PS

I may have messed up on the settings:

I think the Linksys and the lounge 3800N have fixed IP's in them and are backed up by static ARP's in the 7800N router. both are wired.

I've also set the annex 3800N with a static IP but it also has a Static ARP in the 7800N. It probably shouldn't be there since it's a WDS repeater.

...1.254 is the 7800N the others are 251,2 &3.

Is this part of problem.

should they just be fixed host?

Thanks

Pete
Not sure if the static ARP is the issue, as you using WDS, you shouldn't need a static ARP
PDilly

Post by PDilly »

The WDS 3800N in the annex only serves an internet TV and seems to work ok.
you're right though, it doesn't need ARP.
Pete
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

PDilly wrote:The WDS 3800N in the annex only serves an internet TV and seems to work ok.
you're right though, it doesn't need ARP.
Pete
Don't forget to setup the devices that have ping issues, to the 'Fixed Host' list
PDilly

Post by PDilly »

I think I have it cracked.

There are now 3 IP ranges on my network:
192....50-99 for fixed host use
192....100-200 for DHCP
192.... 250-254 for routers/AP's

The iPhones and iPad are now 'fixed host' and are immediately pingable when they return to the network. They also find the Sonos net straight away.

The annex WDS wireless extender was rubbish before. I couldn't even play YouTube videos properly. I think this had something to do with it being in the ARP table. I've taken it out and put in 'fixed host' (rightly or wrongly) and it can now support BBC iPlayer in HD. It does of course run on half download speed but that's almost 3.5Mb/s. The internet TV which the AP is primarily for also runs net based apps properly now.

I still think a dedicated gigabit switch to replace 100Meg old Linksys router in the lounge will improve throughput.

thanks for assisting. It made a big difference.

Regards

Pete
PDilly

Post by PDilly »

UPDATE

Well it all seems to work OK.

I'm using the Fing app on my iphone to monitor what's what.

One curious anomaly is that when the internet TV (IP ...124) connects to the WDS wireless extender (IP ...252), Fing reports that the 3800N WDS wireless extender has 2 IP addresses; ...252 and ...124! (it also uses 2 MAC codes! :05:34 and :05:36) :05:34 is set in the DHCP fixed host slot of my 7800N. MAC code of TV is entirely different.

Anyone know if that's what should happen or is more tweaking required?

thanks

Pete
PDilly

Post by PDilly »

UPDATE to the last update

Success was short lived. Ipad and one iphone became unpingable and couldn't find my Sonos again.

It may be something to do with roaming between AP's. turning their wireless setting on and off sorted it

Fing app sees my 3 wireless AP's as separate networks though all are the same SSID & passkey and 2 are on the same channel. DHCP and 'fixed host are all on main 7800N.

Perhaps it is an ios 7 thing. Maybe ios 8 will sort it out.

Hey ho

Pete