Loss of speed

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
MrChips

Re: Loss of speed

Post by MrChips »

Have you tried to drop the 'Bandwidth' down to '20mhz' to see if that helps? (once done, disconnect all wireless devices, and reconnect them)
I did - I referred to this thread last night for tips. I did power down the router so I think that's the equivalent of disconnecting all wireless devices. It didn't seem to get any better but it was late. I'll continue to monitor over the coming week. I'm not worried if the wireless speed maintains 20+ Mbps connection (BT HH5 would be near line speed saying that) but going down into signal digits is a problem and especially when I've seen video buffering over the past week thinking it was the video services that were at fault rather than the wireless connection. It's only a problem some of the time but distance, not even that far away from the router, seems to be a factor even though wifi connection quality is reported to be good-excellent.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

MrChips wrote:
Have you tried to drop the 'Bandwidth' down to '20mhz' to see if that helps? (once done, disconnect all wireless devices, and reconnect them)
I did - I referred to this thread last night for tips. I did power down the router so I think that's the equivalent of disconnecting all wireless devices. It didn't seem to get any better but it was late. I'll continue to monitor over the coming week. I'm not worried if the wireless speed maintains 20+ Mbps connection (BT HH5 would be near line speed saying that) but going down into signal digits is a problem and especially when I've seen video buffering over the past week thinking it was the video services that were at fault rather than the wireless connection. It's only a problem some of the time but distance, not even that far away from the router, seems to be a factor even though wifi connection quality is reported to be good-excellent.
How did were the speeds over the weekend??
MrChips

Post by MrChips »

Not too bad but could be better at the same time. I've experienced more buffering on Netflix. I added the hdmi extension cable to my chromecast dongle which for the rest of the movie seemed to help but considering my TV is around 10 feet from the router I didn't think I'd have a problem beforehand. Speed test wise I'm seeing anywhere between 15-30mbps on a 65mbps line even right next to the router. As an experiment I've added my bt homehub as a wireless access point directly connected to the billion with an ethernet cable and generally I'm seeing slightly better wireless speeds on the bt router but never by a big amount though occasionally I do hit 50mbps plus on the bt router. I've not had any 3mbps sub speeds on the billion in recent days. I'll continue to monitor but speeds generally seem a bit sub par on the billion. Ethernet tests still achieve near line rate.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

MrChips wrote:Not too bad but could be better at the same time. I've experienced more buffering on Netflix. I added the hdmi extension cable to my chromecast dongle which for the rest of the movie seemed to help but considering my TV is around 10 feet from the router I didn't think I'd have a problem beforehand. Speed test wise I'm seeing anywhere between 15-30mbps on a 65mbps line even right next to the router. As an experiment I've added my bt homehub as a wireless access point directly connected to the billion with an ethernet cable and generally I'm seeing slightly better wireless speeds on the bt router but never by a big amount though occasionally I do hit 50mbps plus on the bt router. I've not had any 3mbps sub speeds on the billion in recent days. I'll continue to monitor but speeds generally seem a bit sub par on the billion. Ethernet tests still achieve near line rate.
Try setting the bandwidth back to 20/40mhz (300mbps), and test again, as the issue seems to be better now also try using the same channel as the BT homehub, (when the BT home hub is off to limit interference)
MrChips

Post by MrChips »

I've put it back on 20/40mghz. Seems about the same speed wise maybe a little amount better as I've actually seen a 40+ mbps speedtest now (albeit next to the router). Video streaming seems fine so far but only used it for an hour or so. Only problem now in the space of an hour my tablet has disconnected from the billion wireless network twice - it never did this on 20mghz only. I have a guest network enabled on the billion too so my tablet connected to that instead, well, it tried to connect because one time the guest network wouldn't give my tablet an ip address. So I'm experiencing more problems at the moment and in a short space of time. Signal strength wise the billion always seems to be strong so not sure why I'm having so many problems. Billion reports wireless channel interference as acceptable.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

MrChips wrote:I've put it back on 20/40mghz. Seems about the same speed wise maybe a little amount better as I've actually seen a 40+ mbps speedtest now (albeit next to the router). Video streaming seems fine so far but only used it for an hour or so. Only problem now in the space of an hour my tablet has disconnected from the billion wireless network twice - it never did this on 20mghz only. I have a guest network enabled on the billion too so my tablet connected to that instead, well, it tried to connect because one time the guest network wouldn't give my tablet an ip address. So I'm experiencing more problems at the moment and in a short space of time. Signal strength wise the billion always seems to be strong so not sure why I'm having so many problems. Billion reports wireless channel interference as acceptable.
I think then its best to keep the bandwidth on 20mhz
MrChips

Post by MrChips »

Ok thanks. Back on 20mghz and no disconnects since. See how I get on. I don't think much more can be done. Thanks anyway.
yayarecki

Post by yayarecki »

If I may add to the thread, yes 20mhz worked for me as well and also choosing the least occupied channel in your area will help wireless performance. Where I live there's like 10 wireless networks available so on some of the channels there's a lot of interference. I've been using this router now for nearly a month and I'm very very happy with it :D
MrChips

Post by MrChips »

Unfortunately after intermittent problems with wifi I've had to disable the wireless on the 8800NL and replug in the BT HH5. I get good wireless strength around the house with the Billion but for some reason actual speeds are mediocre sometimes dropping down to poor - I've tried literally every wireless channel too. Netflix has been intermittently streaming with terrible quality resolution. Put the HH5 back on, watch five episodes of Breaking Bad and on the HH5 wireless is flawless. One other problem the other night the upload speed dropped to 0.25Mbps, on a 20Mbps upload fibre connection. Even the ethernet connected devices were seeing the problem. A reset of the router fixed it but never had that before, hopefully a one off. So although I'm still using the Billion, I've disabled the wireless and connected the BT HH5 as a wireless AP connected by a short ethernet cable into the ethernet port of the Billion. Works really well now. The Billion is a good router (terrible wireless though) but with the BT HH5 wireless back on everything works much much better. A compromise, but needs must. Not sure if I have a faulty Billion? Like I say wireless signal strength around the house is good just not very fast.