5200 RC for long lines?

Discussion for models not listed
RichardH

5200 RC for long lines?

Post by RichardH »

I'm considering going down the load balancing route to get some capacity from our poor broadband connection. We already have a second phone line installed. Our current router/modem is a 7800N - sadly the wireless section of this has just failed - we're way out of warranty - but the wired LAN still works fine - which made me start thinking of going load balanced.

Does the 5200 have the same or similar chipset as the 7800 that makes it so good for long lines? If I do go the load balanced route, I don't need all the bells and whistles on the 7800 series, as the balancing router will deal with all that.

Such a shame the 7800 doesn't do load balancing!!

Thanks folks
billion_fan

Re: 5200 RC for long lines?

Post by billion_fan »

RichardH wrote:I'm considering going down the load balancing route to get some capacity from our poor broadband connection. We already have a second phone line installed. Our current router/modem is a 7800N - sadly the wireless section of this has just failed - we're way out of warranty - but the wired LAN still works fine - which made me start thinking of going load balanced.

Does the 5200 have the same or similar chipset as the 7800 that makes it so good for long lines? If I do go the load balanced route, I don't need all the bells and whistles on the 7800 series, as the balancing router will deal with all that.

Such a shame the 7800 doesn't do load balancing!!

Thanks folks
The Bipac 5200 series does not have the same ADSL chipset, I would recommend on getting a router with a broadcom chipset, the Bipac 5200 has a trendchip ADSL chipset.

Maybe a Bipac 7800 without wireless.
RichardH

Re: 5200 RC for long lines?

Post by RichardH »

Thanks for the confirmation. I'd seen a couple of reviews of the diddy ones saying they were goos at holding on to a signal, but it's probably best to play safe and stick with the good old 7800 series :)