Setting up MAC filtering on a 7300N

Discussions for BiPAC 7300 series: 7300, 7300G, 7300N..etc
Johnwhitehughes

Setting up MAC filtering on a 7300N

Post by Johnwhitehughes »

Hi,

I just got my new router - most things are great, however I have serious problems setting up the filtering I want to use. Firmware is 1.08a

Fundamentally I want to stop my young kids using their iPods to watch you-tube etc. after lights out. Simple - set up a schedule in the time schedule - 6:45 to 21:00 and then add an "Allow" MAC filter for each of their devices for that period. Uh-Uh! The filter consistently defaults to "Block" and in fact if you try to edit the filter to revert it to "Allow" the router stops responding at all - the lights look OK but you can't access either the admin interface or the internet - you have to reboot the router.

I have worked around the problem for the moment by setting up two "block" rules - one from 21:00 to 23:59 and another from 00:01 to 06:45, but it seems strange that it won't work!

Any ideas / thoughts much appreciated.

Regards,
John
billion_fan

Re: Setting up MAC filtering on a 7300N

Post by billion_fan »

Hi

On the 7300N, what I normally do is delete all MAC address from the MAC filter. Then I select 'Allow' and click on 'Apply' just below the 'Allow', then manually or select the MAC addresses I want to allow.

That should work fine, please let me know if you get any issues.
hampton3

Post by hampton3 »

billion_fan wrote:Hi

On the 7300N, what I normally do is delete all MAC address from the MAC filter. Then I select 'Allow' and click on 'Apply' just below the 'Allow', then manually or select the MAC addresses I want to allow.

That should work fine, please let me know if you get any issues.
billion_fan, does the method you describe mean that all other devices that try to connect to the router will be blocked, and only those whose MAC addresses are Added will be allowed?

I'm wondering how to configure my 7300N's MAC Address Filter. I want it to only allow only those I want, to connect. I want it to block ALL other potential devices with MAC addresses other than I specify. Does your method do this or is it possible some way

Thanks.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Yes so all added MAC address will be allowed, the ones not listed will be blocked.
hampton3

Post by hampton3 »

billion_fan wrote:Yes so all added MAC address will be allowed, the ones not listed will be blocked.
OK, thanks, that's great. :D