5G Wifi Missing In Action

Chief Wiggum

5G Wifi Missing In Action

Post by Chief Wiggum »

So I setup the 7800VDOX last night and everything went fine - I am sure that when I did a wifi scan I had the choice of a 2.4g wifi connection or 5g wifi connection - I chose the 2.4g

I then updated the firmware to 2.32b which went OK, but tonight I noticed that the 5g connection is no longer there, I have had a look in the settings and everything appears to be turned on/looks correct

Any ideas?
billion_fan

Re: 5G Wifi Missing In Action

Post by billion_fan »

Chief Wiggum wrote:So I setup the 7800VDOX last night and everything went fine - I am sure that when I did a wifi scan I had the choice of a 2.4g wifi connection or 5g wifi connection - I chose the 2.4g

I then updated the firmware to 2.32b which went OK, but tonight I noticed that the 5g connection is no longer there, I have had a look in the settings and everything appears to be turned on/looks correct

Any ideas?
Is the 5GHZ LED on, on the front of the router??

What was you previous firmware version?
pargeter

Post by pargeter »

I've actually had the same issue with the 2.4 wireless network. Upgraded to 2.32b from 2.31.RC4.3 firmware. Initially neither wireless network was restored following firmware reboot - it had defaulted to billion names.

Actually restored backup conf from 2.31.RC4.3 FW to setup these wireless network again - this was based on release notes stating that factory reset was not required. Subsequent reboot then brought up both Wireless networks as I could see form admin pages, but only the 5ghz network was visible to any devices. Changing the 2.4 network name to another name it became visible to devices. Changed it back to my desired name again then resulted in devices connecting to that 2.4 network.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

pargeter wrote:I've actually had the same issue with the 2.4 wireless network. Upgraded to 2.32b from 2.31.RC4.3 firmware. Initially neither wireless network was restored following firmware reboot - it had defaulted to billion names.

Actually restored backup conf from 2.31.RC4.3 FW to setup these wireless network again - this was based on release notes stating that factory reset was not required. Subsequent reboot then brought up both Wireless networks as I could see form admin pages, but only the 5ghz network was visible to any devices. Changing the 2.4 network name to another name it became visible to devices. Changed it back to my desired name again then resulted in devices connecting to that 2.4 network.
We might have to change the release notes to state you will need to reset back to factory default settings and do not restore settings from previous firmware builds, as I know they updated the wireless driver in this firmware with the new driver that was released from broadcom.

If possible can you reset the unit back to factory default settings and setup the router from scratch, just so we can confirm if restoring the config is causing the issue.
pargeter

Post by pargeter »

I can try at weekend - if time persists, but i'm up and running at present.

Don't want to hijack this thread on it, but may help chief wiggum by renaming wireless network and then changing back.
Philip_L

Post by Philip_L »

Hi

Also just worth checking the channels 5Ghz is on, if set to Auto I've noticed it can set a higher channel which falls outside the range my mobile phone can use. Try setting it manually to the lowest channel number and see if it reappears.

Regards

Phil
Chief Wiggum

Post by Chief Wiggum »

billion_fan wrote:
Chief Wiggum wrote:So I setup the 7800VDOX last night and everything went fine - I am sure that when I did a wifi scan I had the choice of a 2.4g wifi connection or 5g wifi connection - I chose the 2.4g

Any ideas?
Is the 5GHZ LED on, on the front of the router??

What was you previous firmware version?
Yep, the LED is on

Sorry, can`t remember what the previous version was
Chief Wiggum

Post by Chief Wiggum »

Philip_L wrote:Hi

Also just worth checking the channels 5Ghz is on, if set to Auto I've noticed it can set a higher channel which falls outside the range my mobile phone can use. Try setting it manually to the lowest channel number and see if it reappears.

Regards

Phil
Looks like this was my problem, once I fixed it to the lowest setting (36?) it magically appeared

Many thanks
Chief Wiggum

Post by Chief Wiggum »

Oh, and just for anyone thats interested, when I updated I chose not to "factory default" and instead kept my settings, but it appears that this was not the issue
Chief Wiggum

Post by Chief Wiggum »

Out of curiosity whats the advantage of 5ghz?

Is it somehow superior to 2.4ghz or is it simply that the 5ghz band is less used/congested than 2.4ghz?