Using 7800DXL to boost other routers WiFi

CaptainBlack

Using 7800DXL to boost other routers WiFi

Post by CaptainBlack »

Hi

I have an ADSL connection at a property in France via SFR and I would like to improve the WiFi range.

SFR provides its customers with a standard "Box" (as they call it) which is a proprietary ADSL router. This router enables SFR to provide a free phone call service (VOIP) and so I cannot change the box itself. The "Box" is very stable but has fairly limited WiFi range and it's only capable of 2.4 so I would like to buy another 7800DXL and use it to provide better WiFi to replace the WiFi from the "Box".

Can I somehow plug the two devices together via Ethernet and use the much better 7800DXL WiFi instead?
I can easily disable the WiFi in the SFR Box but I am not sure how to configure the 7800DXL to work in this way?
Presumably I would have to use the EWAN port?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Captain
billion_fan

Re: Using 7800DXL to boost other routers WiFi

Post by billion_fan »

CaptainBlack wrote:Hi

I have an ADSL connection at a property in France via SFR and I would like to improve the WiFi range.

SFR provides its customers with a standard "Box" (as they call it) which is a proprietary ADSL router. This router enables SFR to provide a free phone call service (VOIP) and so I cannot change the box itself. The "Box" is very stable but has fairly limited WiFi range and it's only capable of 2.4 so I would like to buy another 7800DXL and use it to provide better WiFi to replace the WiFi from the "Box".

Can I somehow plug the two devices together via Ethernet and use the much better 7800DXL WiFi instead?
I can easily disable the WiFi in the SFR Box but I am not sure how to configure the 7800DXL to work in this way?
Presumably I would have to use the EWAN port?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Captain

Yes you can use the EWAN port, and set the router to a 'Ethernet' connection, but this will result in double NAT (I assume your SFR box has NAT, and the 7800DXL will also have NAT, so you will be running behind two sets of NAT)
CaptainBlack

Post by CaptainBlack »

Thank you for your prompt reply.
Perhaps I could just disable NAT on the 7800DXL?
Captain
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

CaptainBlack wrote:Thank you for your prompt reply.
Perhaps I could just disable NAT on the 7800DXL?
Captain
Yes but then you won't be able to route traffic.

The other option is to disable the DHCP server on board the 7800DXL, and then plug a ethernet connection from the main ADSL router to the 7800DXL lan ports (7800dxl set to ADSL) and then the 7800DXL should work as a wireless hub/switch.

Also make sure that IP address of both routers do not match to avoid IP conflicts.

With this setup the your main ADSL router will assign IP's and route all traffic.
CaptainBlack

Post by CaptainBlack »

Presumably to DNS settings in the 7800DXL will need to be set to the base address of the SFR Router?

Captain
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

CaptainBlack wrote:Presumably to DNS settings in the 7800DXL will need to be set to the base address of the SFR Router?

Captain
Nope, the 7800DXL should work as passthrough (wireless hub switch) device so will not need a DNS sever etc,
mm tylor

Post by mm tylor »

I would like to say if you want to boost the routes of WiFi then you have to visit the callcentrall.com just one time. Because there you could find the software and modem that helps to boost WiFi routes.
Last edited by mm tylor on Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
CaptainBlack

Post by CaptainBlack »

There is no website at callcentrall.com.

Captain