Help needed on VDOX upstream

thubleau

Help needed on VDOX upstream

Post by thubleau »

I may have mentioned before that my line speed is not so good but its stable .

The thing that has got me puzzled though is regardless of what I set the snr at to achieve my fastest download speed my upload figure wont budge it just sits there unmoved.
Could this be locked by the exchange or my provider as my ADSL line is rubbish.?
billion_fan

Re: Help needed on VDOX upstream

Post by billion_fan »

thubleau wrote:I may have mentioned before that my line speed is not so good but its stable .

The thing that has got me puzzled though is regardless of what I set the snr at to achieve my fastest download speed my upload figure wont budge it just sits there unmoved.
Could this be locked by the exchange or my provider as my ADSL line is rubbish.?
When tweaking the SNR this will only effect your downstream value.

If you need to increase your upstream value you will have to contact your ISP and get them to lower your upstream SNR to higher your upstream value.
thubleau

Post by thubleau »

thanks for that.
I just noticed the downstream snr is 5.6 and the upstream is 23.1 so that is a mighty difference.
thubleau

Post by thubleau »

ok they lowered the upstream to 11.2 but it packed a punch on the downstream with my settings going from 5.2db to -3.8db now having made snr adjustments to the downstream I am sitting on 6.2db but the speed shrunk by .3Mbps .Maybe I did the wrong thing and have to phone them in the morning to go back up a little bit maybe to 15 or 16db., or maybe its the modem, as my son is complaining the ping time fluctuates during game play from 37ms to spiking at 1000ms, anyway not sure if this was the right way to go.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

thubleau wrote:ok they lowered the upstream to 11.2 but it packed a punch on the downstream with my settings going from 5.2db to -3.8db now having made snr adjustments to the downstream I am sitting on 6.2db but the speed shrunk by .3Mbps .Maybe I did the wrong thing and have to phone them in the morning to go back up a little bit maybe to 15 or 16db., or maybe its the modem, as my son is complaining the ping time fluctuates during game play from 37ms to spiking at 1000ms, anyway not sure if this was the right way to go.
You can get your ISP to the revert the target SNR on the upstream and everything should return to normal, unfortunately that is only way to increase your upstream, (by contacting your ISP)

Regarding ping times, you can ask your ISP to set you to Fastpath (should lower the ping times), but on poor lines you might get disconnections (something you can ask your ISP about)
thubleau

Post by thubleau »

Sorry I should have mentioned I am in Australia so not sure that we have that system, I am hoping our NBN roll out (optical cable) will be finished in my area by this time next year and then all these problems will go away.
Thanks again this forum is a lot more knowledgeable than the one at home and that's why I am here........thanks again.