Devices taking too long to reconnect to router

zarf2007

Devices taking too long to reconnect to router

Post by zarf2007 »

I am having a problem where both wired and wireless devices are taking too long to connect to the router, if they have been temporarily powered down....this happens mostly on laptop/desktop devices (but sometimes on iphone/ipad) and it usually takes one or two browser 'refreshes' or in extreme cases pinging the router IP before my connection works.

This never happened from my previous routers and I have updated the firmware to the latest 2.32b which hasnt helped. I am using standard dhcp on the router to allocate addresses.......other than that once connected it is rock solid its just the initial connection after device 'wakeup'.

any one else seeing this? The router is a 7800DXL.
billion_fan

Re: Devices taking too long to reconnect to router

Post by billion_fan »

zarf2007 wrote:I am having a problem where both wired and wireless devices are taking too long to connect to the router, if they have been temporarily powered down....this happens mostly on laptop/desktop devices (but sometimes on iphone/ipad) and it usually takes one or two browser 'refreshes' or in extreme cases pinging the router IP before my connection works.

This never happened from my previous routers and I have updated the firmware to the latest 2.32b which hasnt helped. I am using standard dhcp on the router to allocate addresses.......other than that once connected it is rock solid its just the initial connection after device 'wakeup'.

any one else seeing this? The router is a 7800DXL.
Have you tried to set a static IP to a device which has this issue for a quick test to see if this resolves your issue, or you can try and use the 'Static IP lease' function found under LAN so the router will assign a static IP to the device each time it is powered up.
zarf2007

Post by zarf2007 »

have tried both methods and the issue isnt resolved.....i can see that the interface has a link, and even when set to dhcp mode has an IP/mask & gateway, but when pinging the default gateway it can take up to a minute to start responding to pings....
Philip_L

Post by Philip_L »

Hi

Are you sure you haven't another DCHP server or router on the network? For example a separate access point might be trying to act as gateway or router. Also make sure you don't have two devices using the same IP address.

Under lan settings try extending the DHCP lease time to something like 120 hours (Although this doesn't seem like a DHCP issue).

Have you tried with everything reset to defaults?

Regards

Phil
zarf2007

Post by zarf2007 »

Yes, I am sure that it is the only device offering dhcp addresses. I have extended the lease time & tried resetting to defaults, all to no avail. It also happens to multiple devices so they cannot all have a conflict.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

zarf2007 wrote:Yes, I am sure that it is the only device offering dhcp addresses. I have extended the lease time & tried resetting to defaults, all to no avail. It also happens to multiple devices so they cannot all have a conflict.
Whats your network topology like??
zarf2007

Post by zarf2007 »

It is BT Fibre modem -> Billion Router WAN (PPPoE)- Billion Router LAN (dhcp) - > iMac (wired), youview box (wired), also have Laptop, Ipad & iphone on wireless.....also occurs when i connect laptop wired.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

zarf2007 wrote:
It is BT Fibre modem -> Billion Router WAN (PPPoE)- Billion Router LAN (dhcp) - > iMac (wired), youview box (wired), also have Laptop, Ipad & iphone on wireless.....also occurs when i connect laptop wired.
I assume one of the Billion routers is a 7800DXL (Billion Router WAN (PPPoE)), what is the other one 'Billion Router LAN (dhcp)'??

Or is just the Billion 7800DXL (PPPOE/DHCP Server)??
zarf2007

Post by zarf2007 »

billion_fan wrote:
zarf2007 wrote:
I assume one of the Billion routers is a 7800DXL (Billion Router WAN (PPPoE)), what is the other one 'Billion Router LAN (dhcp)'??

Or is just the Billion 7800DXL (PPPOE/DHCP Server)??

It is just one Billion 7800DXL doing both.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

You mentioned that it can take some time to respond to a ping, does the pings time out, before responding??

How long does it take to respond to a ping from the router (192.168.1.254)??

Does the issue only occur if you devices are left in sleep mode, for example if they are shut down and restarted does the issue occur?? Or if you disabled your network conenction and re-enable it does the issue occur??