8900AX2400 stopped speaking to TalkTalk

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
isablend

8900AX2400 stopped speaking to TalkTalk

Post by isablend »

Anyone with TalkTalk recently (last day) had problems connecting? I'm on 2.52.d16 firmware and been connecting no problem until this morning where the status page shows the download and upload speeds, but no external IP address.

I reported it to TalkTalk thinking it was a line issue, but having been forced to re-connect the default router, the connection is fine, with a lower download speed. The 8900AX2400 still showing the same issue, no connection, only difference I can see if that on the 8900 I had hard set the DNS to point at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 instead of using the TalkTalk DNS. I did try forcing the 8900 to get DNS from the network but that didn't change the outcome (i.e. it wasn't being given a DNS address).

Thoughts?
billion_fan

Re: 8900AX2400 stopped speaking to TalkTalk

Post by billion_fan »

isablend wrote:Anyone with TalkTalk recently (last day) had problems connecting? I'm on 2.52.d16 firmware and been connecting no problem until this morning where the status page shows the download and upload speeds, but no external IP address.

I reported it to TalkTalk thinking it was a line issue, but having been forced to re-connect the default router, the connection is fine, with a lower download speed. The 8900AX2400 still showing the same issue, no connection, only difference I can see if that on the 8900 I had hard set the DNS to point at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 instead of using the TalkTalk DNS. I did try forcing the 8900 to get DNS from the network but that didn't change the outcome (i.e. it wasn't being given a DNS address).

Thoughts?
Try checking the WAN connection settings (Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service' >>> Edit your WAN and double check your settings) you can also check under 'Status >> WAN' and also the system log to see what the issue might be

PPPoA for a ADSL connection
IPOE with '802.1P Priority = 0 and 802.1Q VLAN ID = 101'
Radiocrazy

Post by Radiocrazy »

isablend wrote:Anyone with TalkTalk recently (last day) had problems connecting? I'm on 2.52.d16 firmware and been connecting no problem until this morning where the status page shows the download and upload speeds, but no external IP address.

Thoughts?
It might sound simple but connect the TalkTalk router let it auto configure, and copy the settings and use them only you should have no issues whatsoever, ignore any information anywhere else I’m on TalkTalk.
Hope That helps
isablend

Post by isablend »

Thanks both, but I don't understand how the 8900AX2400 would work and without any changes no longer be configured correctly and yet when I go back to the TalkTalk router it connects without problem. It suggests there has been a configuration change outside of my home rather than with the router itself.

It's a fibre configuration so I need to go back and see how that is configured.

With regards to the configuration of the TalkTalk router, its not obvious (at least to me) how to find the account level access configuration.
Radiocrazy

Post by Radiocrazy »

Sorry not watching the tread (silly me), I will have a look in my talk-talk router and let you know where to look unless you’ve already found it, I do understand you're logic that it worked and now it don’t I can only say I'm on fibre as well and not touched my configuration since I first set it up.
When initially setting up the 8900AX2400 I always delete the default WAN settings except the 3G/4G LTE interface, I just find it easer, strange but true,
As far as my upload and down load speed is showing OK that is the B0 Line Rate, what happens if you use something like DSL Stats does you’re speed show in that?
I'm on 2.52.d16 firmware.
Radiocrazy

Post by Radiocrazy »

Ok TalkTalk status login 192.168.1.1 admin plus you're password select top button Internet, then Internet Connection, if connection details don’t show click on Internet_VDSL link on the right side and there should be you're settings, mine didn’t show because the 8900 is connected and I didn’t want to disconnect it, hope that helps.
isablend

Post by isablend »

Thanks, I worked through and found the details necessary to get a connection talking again. Since then the connection has been intermittent on the 8900. When I re-connect the TalkTalk router it connects no problem. Not quite sure that to do now as I need a consistent connection, but the TalkTalk router doesn't have half the features that I want and also has rubbish wifi signal. I suspect that there is an ongoing line quality issue, I'll contact TalkTalk and pursue that route. Thanks for the help.
Radiocrazy

Post by Radiocrazy »

isablend wrote:Thanks, I worked through and found the details necessary to get a connection talking again. Since then the connection has been intermittent on the 8900. When I re-connect the TalkTalk router it connects no problem. Not quite sure that to do now as I need a consistent connection, but the TalkTalk router doesn't have half the features that I want and also has rubbish wifi signal. I suspect that there is an ongoing line quality issue, I'll contact TalkTalk and pursue that route. Thanks for the help.
If the TalkTalk router is stable then there should be no issue on the 8900 if you’re on 2.52.d12 to 2.52.d16, I'm a little concerned that TalkTalk will ask you to connect there router and if they find no problem they will say they can’t help on other devices, have you run the TalkTalk router for the same amount of time as you have the 8900 e.g. 2 days in turns.
Have you a long line to the cabinet, is the line old.
How many disconnections do you get per say 12 hours, I know you got to be careful because if you keep disconnecting the Line management might kick in and reduce you're speed, but it does pick up again when it detects a solid connection, I had a disconnection 2 days ago and my speed as increased.
Just for interest I’ve noticed that Openreach have done a bit of work after 12 midnight a few times in August once for 3 hours so I suspect essential maintenance.