External access issues

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
Marriott

External access issues

Post by Marriott »

Hi there,

I've had this router for a while now - 8900AX-1600 R2.

I have a HP Server running and on this I access it via tablet and other devices remotely along with running a TeamSpeak server.

Now access was fine since I set the router up in sept/oct 2016. TeamSpeak was installed in mid March 2017, but around the 28th June our TeamSpeak server wouldn't allow access - at the time I thought it was just this single application. However there's been access issues again since Friday 18th August 2017. This time I also checked external access to the file server by coincidence and found that external access is basically dropping. This is very puzzling.

I tried -

1- Changing from BT to Google DNS servers 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 - This made web access faster that I noticed but didn't resolve the issue.
2- Restarting router.
3- Turning the router off for over an hour.
4- Restarting and stopping the TeamSpeak server program and file access program.
5- Checked firewall logs but it isn't related to this because tried a number of friends/devices accessing and all show failed to connect.
6- All the ports haven't been changed and external access/Port forwarding was correct and unaltered. Also this is intermittent so points to other things.
7-The server uses No-IP Dynamic DNS to a couple of URL's to keep the server accessible all the time. These update perfectly fine.
8- The server was able to be pinged from the LAN and externally from multiple friends, devices and locations enve the actual server access program and TeamSpeak apps were down. (Backs up the Dynamic DNS working)
9-It wasn't until last night that I quickly tried unplugging the router and sticking in the BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) quickly, added the ports to forward and within minutes server access and TeamSpeak were able to be accessed.

So this seems to be there is some sort of intermittent issue perhaps, or caching or something going on. Any ideas because the BT router is cack in comparison so I would like to have the Billion plugged back in asap.
Thanks!
billion_fan

Re: External access issues

Post by billion_fan »

Marriott wrote:Hi there,

I've had this router for a while now - 8900AX-1600 R2.

I have a HP Server running and on this I access it via tablet and other devices remotely along with running a TeamSpeak server.

Now access was fine since I set the router up in sept/oct 2016. TeamSpeak was installed in mid March 2017, but around the 28th June our TeamSpeak server wouldn't allow access - at the time I thought it was just this single application. However there's been access issues again since Friday 18th August 2017. This time I also checked external access to the file server by coincidence and found that external access is basically dropping. This is very puzzling.

I tried -

1- Changing from BT to Google DNS servers 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 - This made web access faster that I noticed but didn't resolve the issue.
2- Restarting router.
3- Turning the router off for over an hour.
4- Restarting and stopping the TeamSpeak server program and file access program.
5- Checked firewall logs but it isn't related to this because tried a number of friends/devices accessing and all show failed to connect.
6- All the ports haven't been changed and external access/Port forwarding was correct and unaltered. Also this is intermittent so points to other things.
7-The server uses No-IP Dynamic DNS to a couple of URL's to keep the server accessible all the time. These update perfectly fine.
8- The server was able to be pinged from the LAN and externally from multiple friends, devices and locations enve the actual server access program and TeamSpeak apps were down. (Backs up the Dynamic DNS working)
9-It wasn't until last night that I quickly tried unplugging the router and sticking in the BT Smart Hub (Home Hub 6) quickly, added the ports to forward and within minutes server access and TeamSpeak were able to be accessed.

So this seems to be there is some sort of intermittent issue perhaps, or caching or something going on. Any ideas because the BT router is cack in comparison so I would like to have the Billion plugged back in asap.
Thanks!
What firmware version are you on??

Can you try loading the attached firmware
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marriott

Post by Marriott »

Hi there,

Thank you for the fast reply!

Current Firmware is this - 2.50a.d15

Sure I can try loading that, what's your thoughts on the possible cause?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Marriott wrote:Hi there,

Thank you for the fast reply!

Current Firmware is this - 2.50a.d15

Sure I can try loading that, what's your thoughts on the possible cause?
Not 100% sure yet, but this firmware was built to resolve port forwarding issues, so hopefully it will help. It is strange as normally a reboot should of allowed access to your servers, you might also want to check if the ports are open also
Marriott

Post by Marriott »

I've updated the Firmware.

No change unfortunately.. Access issues for TeamSpeak and Server file management still since I putt he Billion outer back in after removing the BT hub.

The ports are open for sure as I've been running the server with access for a long time.

The ports forward to the servers IP which is static, and use a DyDNS for external access with the server updating this whenever there is an IP change I can see it updates in real time on the No-IP account and server.

Thing is the ports wont just close themselves off at random will they? If they are in the config and run most of the time, its almost like some issue caches them.

I'm trying to remember how it was resolved before 3 months ago but I thought unplugging it and leaving it 10 minutes solved it. Unfortunately it didn't this time, and by swapping out the router it seems that narrows down a Server issue and ISP so it just leaves the router.

Luckily this helps narrow it down from a wider range of potential issues.
Marriott

Post by Marriott »

Is there any Caching in place on the router? Any way to flush anything like that? A bit like ipconfic release on a PC?

What about a Log File? Unsure how to get it but I believe logging is on, would that show up any clues?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Marriott wrote:Is there any Caching in place on the router? Any way to flush anything like that? A bit like ipconfic release on a PC?

What about a Log File? Unsure how to get it but I believe logging is on, would that show up any clues?
I think the log won't mention any thing about port forwarding rules (you can check it anyway)

Normally a reboot should, restart all services. (nat tables etc)

Can you provide me with remote access to your router so I can check it?? (PM the IP address, and password for your unit, and also ports your servers uses so I can try and access them from here also, and I'll check the settings, I won't change anything, just let you know my finding)
Marriott

Post by Marriott »

Sorry for the delay. It appears the Billion site was down? I kept getting Cloudflare messages. I've PM'ed the info. I'm unsure if I need to tick the external access box or not. If there is anything I need to adjust let me know.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Marriott wrote:Sorry for the delay. It appears the Billion site was down? I kept getting Cloudflare messages. I've PM'ed the info. I'm unsure if I need to tick the external access box or not. If there is anything I need to adjust let me know.
reply sent on the pm