Bug in 7800DX when setting Regulatory mode

billion_fan

Re: Bug in 7800DX when setting Regulatory mode

Post by billion_fan »

Another update, after 30 minutes the 'Adaptive Voltage Scaling' is still 'Enabled'

Screen shot attached

Can anyone else confirm if they have the same issue as Philip??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tim_hamblin

Post by tim_hamblin »

billion_fan wrote:
.... I am using a Bipac 7800DX with firmware 2.32b (UK Firmware) ....

.... Can anyone else confirm if they have the same issue as Philip?? ....
Whereabouts is the new 7800DX 2.32b UK firmware???
There doesn't appear to be ANY 7800DX entries (firmware or manuals, etc) on the UK BIllion Support site:
http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/inde ... 800-series ???

Many thanks... Tim
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

tim_hamblin wrote:
billion_fan wrote:
.... I am using a Bipac 7800DX with firmware 2.32b (UK Firmware) ....

.... Can anyone else confirm if they have the same issue as Philip?? ....
Whereabouts is the new 7800DX 2.32b UK firmware???
There doesn't appear to be ANY 7800DX entries (firmware or manuals, etc) on the UK BIllion Support site:
http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/inde ... 800-series ???

Many thanks... Tim
Its going to be released today on our esupport website
Philip_L

Post by Philip_L »

Hi

Thanks for testing. I'm beginning to think it is a hardware issue. From what I understand from Googling it is some test applied in hardware in the CPU that decides if the voltage can be reduced, and the level of reduction appears to be based on the quality of the part. Perhaps the quality of the chip in mine isn't good enough to use a reduced voltage so it disables itself.

I suspect the overall power saving isn't going to be noticeable on the electricity bill if this feature isn't working. I suppose the only concern is if all parts should support this, then if my unit doesn't then is this indication of a poor quality chip which may lead to premature failure?

I've tested on a few firmwares now. Sometimes after a restart if checking within a few minutes it is Enabled, then it disables itself. All I do is telnet in, log on, type 'sh' then pwrctl show as you have done. This has happened after a factory reset as well. I can issue the command to turn AVS on, it will show enabled for several minutes then on checking later is back to disabled.

I even set logging to debug mode to see if it gave any clues but it logs nothing except for the starting AVS after a reboot which is "BcmPwrMngtEnableAvs: AVS_START"

Everything otherwise is working fine.

Regards

Phil