Problems with my 7800DXL

dbrookdale

Re: Problems with my 7800DXL

Post by dbrookdale »

As well as the printer issue, the 5GHz network is useless. I have tried changing the settings as suggested. I have just been using it - for about 5 minutes it worked properly and then just stopped working - I then switched to 2.4GHz and it is OK.

Is there any chance of any fixes for these issues?
Philip_L

Post by Philip_L »

Hi

I wonder if setting a schedule to turn the Wi-Fi off overnight on the router, even if only for a few minutes would be enough to give some stability, at least until Broadcom come up with a fix.

Regards

Phil
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

dbrookdale wrote:As well as the printer issue, the 5GHz network is useless. I have tried changing the settings as suggested. I have just been using it - for about 5 minutes it worked properly and then just stopped working - I then switched to 2.4GHz and it is OK.

Is there any chance of any fixes for these issues?
We are discussing the wifi issues with broadcom at the moment, once I get a update I will post it.
Lennox9343

Post by Lennox9343 »

Maybe I should have read these posts BEFORE deciding to replace my BIPAC 7800N with the newer DXL following a lightning strike!

While the 7800N was rock solid on 2.4GHz, the DXL's range is about the same, but speed and signal quality fluctuate alarmingly, regardless of the distance from the access point. The 5GHz band range is especially disappointing - effective in same room only and throughput is lower than 2.4GHz. By the way - the DXL will not stay at 40MHz for the 2.4GHz band if it reckons there's too much interference unless you disable OBSS Coexistence on the Advanced panel (yes, my environment is not especially clean in the 2.4GhHz band, that's why I went for DXL with 5Ghz capability.)

I confirm all the printer woes articulated above. My setup is BiPAC 7800DXL at 2.31 RC4.3, Canon Pixma MP560 printer, various Lenovo T-series laptops, all capable of 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.

In an attempt to isolate the problem of extremely slow printing (one line at a time with long breaks between lines) I can offer the following by way of diagnosis attempts:
(1) Clients attach via 5Ghz and printer via 2.4Ghz - print speed is appalling.
(2) Clients and printer both attach to router via 2.4GHz - print speed is appalling.
(3) Printer attached to USB port on BiPAC and defined as a network printer, clients attached via either wireless - print speed is poor
(4) Printer attached to USB port on BiPAC and clients attached using wired Ethernet (1Gbit) to router - print speed is fine.
This seems to point at the wireless performance of the Billion 7800DXL. The 7800N (1.06h) never struggled with this in the exact same location of the same house. The Canon's scanning facility is entirely useless now unless printer is attached to client's USB port.

I do hope the techies at Billion come up with an answer soon. A bit more information about the effect of the other settings on the Advanced config page might be a good start. The manual is rather short on the rationale behind these settings. Improved firmware code would be even better.

Waiting in hope....
Philip_L

Post by Philip_L »

Hi
Lennox9343 wrote:Maybe I should have read these posts BEFORE deciding to replace my BIPAC 7800N with the newer DXL following a lightning strike!

While the 7800N was rock solid on 2.4GHz, the DXL's range is about the same, but speed and signal quality fluctuate alarmingly, regardless of the distance from the access point. The 5GHz band range is especially disappointing - effective in same room only and throughput is lower than 2.4GHz. By the way - the DXL will not stay at 40MHz for the 2.4GHz band if it reckons there's too much interference unless you disable OBSS Coexistence on the Advanced panel (yes, my environment is not especially clean in the 2.4GhHz band, that's why I went for DXL with 5Ghz capability.)
Just to say this is working by design. The OBSS Coexistence is sort of a good neighbour policy, where if your access point detects neighbouring access points it automatically drops to 20MHz to give other access points a chance. 40MHz is a bit like hogging the middle and left lanes of the motorway, it is only possible when there is no one else using the same stretch of road. Turning OBSS off will force your router to use the 40MHz band regardless of who it might affect.

5GHz is around half the range of 2.4GHz. Much like a satellite signal being up at 5GHz it is very much line of sight, and as soon as there are any obstacles and/or distance the signal will drop very quickly.

Of course there are issues with the Wi-Fi. If you want a better chance of compatibility it is better to buy a router and other kit that has the Wi-Fi certification for the bands/protocol you want to use. The Billion is lacking this so the certification is now happening by us complaining about things not working and then Billion/Broadcom tweaking until the complaints die away.

Personally all is working here for me, and I'm also using a Nexus 7 which was mentioned as having a problem with the Billion, however I think I might just not be tripping over the bugs because I shut the Wi-Fi off over night using a schedule, so each day is like a reboot of the Wi-Fi functions, and I'm not using them for more than a couple of hours in one go.

Billion support is very good so I'm sure they will get to the bottom of the issues.

Regards

Phil
dbrookdale

Post by dbrookdale »

I would like to know if or when any fixes for these things are going to be available. Clearly there are problems here but the lack of any positive information about a fix is rather disappointing.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

dbrookdale wrote:I would like to know if or when any fixes for these things are going to be available. Clearly there are problems here but the lack of any positive information about a fix is rather disappointing.
We are working on a newer firmware to resolve these wifi issues, as the 7800 has a broadcom wireless chipset, we have to work with the chipset vendor to resolve these issues.

Once I have a newer firmware I will post it here.

I can assure you we are working on it. :D
lazydog

Post by lazydog »

I too am having terrible wireless issues. My box came with firmware version 2.32a! and yet I read the following in another post posted a couple of weeks ago:
billion_fan wrote:
tim_hamblin wrote:Hi,

I know the latest firmware for the UK 7800 new devices is 2.31.RC4.3 (well at least for the 7800DX(L), etc)...

I notice on the Australian Whirlpool forum http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... ?t=2116550 and AU Billion website there is now 2.23.a

Any ideas when we'll be getting the updated firmware over here?

TIA
There are reported issues with this firmware, as this is the case, we want to release a newer firmware once these issues are resolved. (you can check the release notes for this firmware, found here http://au.billion.com/downloads/release ... s2.32a.pdf you will see at the top in red "There may still be some WLAN IOT issues. Billion are currently following this up with Broadcom" so we don't want to release this firmware as AU customers have also reported wifi issues)
So... my question is, if this firmware has known bugs/issues, WHY do I have it on my box??

I paid relatively quite a lot for this router and so far it's pretty crap on the wireless front with the range and signal on 2.4g worse than on the free box with no aerials that came from my isp!

If Billion can't sort this out ASAP I will return it for a refund with Not Fit For Purpose as my return reason. :x
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Garthark wrote:Hey I have similar issues with the wifi, if my phone or tablet (both running android a nexus s and nexus 7) is connected to the wifi for more than a day then they stop working on the wifi, I can fix this by turning the wifi off and on on the phone/tablet. sounds like the same fault as with the printer (could be wrong though).
We are looking into these wireless issues with the chipset vendor (Broadcom) once we have something solid we will release it
lazydog

Post by lazydog »

Hi.

my question remains.

My router shipped with 2.32a which is apparently faulty! Can I roll back to an earlier firmware or am I stuck until you release a newer one?

thanks.