2 7300N on network to add wired connection in living room

Discussions for BiPAC 7300 series: 7300, 7300G, 7300N..etc
pushandrun

2 7300N on network to add wired connection in living room

Post by pushandrun »

Hi,

I have a 7300 as my router. Recently bought another one thinking I could get it to communicate over wireless with the router in order to add extra wired ports for my living room (bluray player, TV, Sky+ box etc).

I read the manual and tried to set it up via WPS but can't seem to get it to work. I am a networking novice but can follow instructions...

For WPS I set the main router to registrar/unconfigured and the new 7300 to enrollee/unconfigured. Both obviously have WPS enabled. I have also triple-checked I have the right PIN number. When I press start on the registrar router UI should I then just press the physical WPS button on the enrollee router? Or do I need to access the UI for the enrollee and hit the start button there? OR... Should I be using the dedicated hardware WPS buttons? If so, how do I use them? Do I just push them or do I need to push and hold them until the WPS light starts flashing?

I have tried several combinations of the above all to no avail

My ISP is Sky (I hacked my password and used the original 7300N to replace the Netgear b/g router that came from Sky) and I am running windows 7

Any help gratefully received. I absolutely love Billion products compared to the other brands I have used previously and I would really like this to work!
billion_fan

Re: 2 7300N on network to add wired connection in living roo

Post by billion_fan »

Hi pushandrun

Do you want to link both 7300N together wirelessly?

You need to use WDS to do this,

1. Change the IP on one 7300N so the IP's do not conflict
2. Login to both and note down the AP's mac address (found under 'advanced >> configuration >> lan >> Wireless)
3. Make sure the wireless name (ESSID), channel number,security type and password match. (Have to be the same on both devices)
4. Enable WDS and enter the mac of AP1 in AP2
5. Enter the MAC of AP2 in AP1
6. Turn off the DHCP server on the device that will not have a ADSL connection, in your sitting room.

Renew your IP on the computer connected in your living room and you should get the IP of the 7300N connected to your sky service, and thats it you have now connected both devices up using WDS.

Thanks
pushandrun

Post by pushandrun »

Thanks so much for the advice- will try that this afternoon and let you know how it works. I was getting very confused and the problem with networking when yo udon't know what you are doing is that you are always concerned you will change a setting that stops ANYTHING working!
John612

Post by John612 »

Hi, john here. I have a quick question. How can I set up IM+ to make callback instead of going through VOIP when I have a WI-Fi connection? Now it seems to me that whenever I have a WI-Fi connection, IM+ will make VoIP calls only.

The link has nothing to do with WDS, also your post does not refer to WDS, on 7300N

Edited by billion_fan