5G Wifi Missing In Action

Philip_L

Re: 5G Wifi Missing In Action

Post by Philip_L »

Hi
Chief Wiggum wrote:
Philip_L wrote:Hi

Also just worth checking the channels 5Ghz is on, if set to Auto I've noticed it can set a higher channel which falls outside the range my mobile phone can use. Try setting it manually to the lowest channel number and see if it reappears.

Regards

Phil
Looks like this was my problem, once I fixed it to the lowest setting (36?) it magically appeared

Many thanks
Glad you found it fixed the problem.

5Ghz has all sorts of rules and regulations about transmitter power, for example if outdoors power must be limited on some bands and if indoors power can be higher, and these rules also vary by country. It's all to do with protecting radar and not interfering with it.

The lower frequency for 5Ghz tends to be more universal with fewer rules. When you get to the higher frequencies mobile devices often stop working as being mobile they could be outside and so break the rules.
Is it somehow superior to 2.4ghz or is it simply that the 5ghz band is less used/congested than 2.4ghz?
5Ghz has a couple of advantages, one is not many people use it, so you get little or no interference with other users, and as it is also absorbed more easily by walls and obstacles than 2.4Ghz, so again you get less interference with other users if they are near by than 2.4Ghz.

When you have lots of 5Ghz access points, perhaps in an office building where there may be some cross over and interference, then you have more non-overlapping channels to choose from.

Overall data throughput and reliability of 5Ghz is better than 2.4Ghz (equipment issues aside), however at 5Ghz it is really line of sight (same room or next room), any distance or obstacles and the signal quickly disappears.

Regards

Phil