Two router set-up and DMZ

Refuse2growup

Two router set-up and DMZ

Post by Refuse2growup »

All,

I have done some reading on the net and have read through the various posts here on the forum. Hope I am not asking questions that have readily available answers; haven't seen anything tho. Also, let me apologize as I have little technical knowledge and understanding. I may be way out in left field here...just looking for some advice and guidance.

Background: I live in Oman (Arabian Peninsula), have ADSL, Omantel is ISP, and internet package is 8-10mbs.

I am currently in the process of ordering a 7800DXl and BiPac P106N HomePlug kit (awaiting shipping quote from BroadbandBuyer).

I will be attempting to set up a two router/modem configuration. The 7800DXL will be the primary and an ASUS N66U w/ Open VPN (StrongVPN) will be the second inline modem/router. It is my intent for the 7800DXL to be hooked up (wired) to a PS3 for online gaming and broadcast a non VPN wireless signal. I want the ASUS to broadcast a separate SSID with VPN signal.

There are only a couple adults in the house so there will not be a heavy load on the routers. I play PS3 online and download movies online as well as general internet usage. The VPN signal will be to stream NetFlix/Hulu and for Skype (primarily the TV connection). I wont be worrying about network printers and such. I am considering buying a NAS for use as a media center (though I am not sure which router/modem it should be hooked up to).

So, if I am not too far out in left field, I have a couple thoughts/questions:

(1) Will I be able to broadcast two separate SSIDs at the same time or will I need a second IP from the ISP? StrongVPN has told me I will be able to use both modems at the same time with separate SSIDs; just looking for some additional feedback.

(2) I currently have the PS3 on a DMZ to open the NAT. If I am not mistaken, I will need to DMZ the ASUS modem/router. If so, am I able to have two DMZ connections? What is the difference between DMZ and port forwarding?

Any insight is appreciated.
Mike
billion_fan

Re: Two router set-up and DMZ

Post by billion_fan »

Refuse2growup wrote:All,

I have done some reading on the net and have read through the various posts here on the forum. Hope I am not asking questions that have readily available answers; haven't seen anything tho. Also, let me apologize as I have little technical knowledge and understanding. I may be way out in left field here...just looking for some advice and guidance.

Background: I live in Oman (Arabian Peninsula), have ADSL, Omantel is ISP, and internet package is 8-10mbs.

I am currently in the process of ordering a 7800DXl and BiPac P106N HomePlug kit (awaiting shipping quote from BroadbandBuyer).

I will be attempting to set up a two router/modem configuration. The 7800DXL will be the primary and an ASUS N66U w/ Open VPN (StrongVPN) will be the second inline modem/router. It is my intent for the 7800DXL to be hooked up (wired) to a PS3 for online gaming and broadcast a non VPN wireless signal. I want the ASUS to broadcast a separate SSID with VPN signal.

There are only a couple adults in the house so there will not be a heavy load on the routers. I play PS3 online and download movies online as well as general internet usage. The VPN signal will be to stream NetFlix/Hulu and for Skype (primarily the TV connection). I wont be worrying about network printers and such. I am considering buying a NAS for use as a media center (though I am not sure which router/modem it should be hooked up to).

So, if I am not too far out in left field, I have a couple thoughts/questions:

(1) Will I be able to broadcast two separate SSIDs at the same time or will I need a second IP from the ISP? StrongVPN has told me I will be able to use both modems at the same time with separate SSIDs; just looking for some additional feedback.

(2) I currently have the PS3 on a DMZ to open the NAT. If I am not mistaken, I will need to DMZ the ASUS modem/router. If so, am I able to have two DMZ connections? What is the difference between DMZ and port forwarding?

Any insight is appreciated.
Mike

The SSID's should not be a problem.

Regarding the PS3, this should work via UPNP so should not need to do any port forwarding or DMZ to get NAT type 2 on the PS3, my PS3 has broken so I can not confirm, maybe someone here can confirm if they needed to DMZ for the PS3 to show NAT type 2, if they don't then you can use the DMZ option to put the Asus router into DMZ.
Refuse2growup

Post by Refuse2growup »

Thank you for the reply. I don't need DMZ to get NAT type 2 but I do need DMZ to get an Open Nat type (greatly improves game play).

So, anyone able to advise if it is possible to do two DMZ's with the 7800DXL?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Refuse2growup wrote:Thank you for the reply. I don't need DMZ to get NAT type 2 but I do need DMZ to get an Open Nat type (greatly improves game play).

So, anyone able to advise if it is possible to do two DMZ's with the 7800DXL?
Not possible, you can only add one IP to DMZ
Refuse2growup

Post by Refuse2growup »

That sucks. Would the ASUS (2nd router) have to be DMZ'd or only port fwd'd?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Refuse2growup wrote:That sucks. Would the ASUS (2nd router) have to be DMZ'd or only port fwd'd?
Depending on what devices connect to the Asus router it would be best to DMZ the Asus router, as it will be creating a VPN connection.