Guest networks on 7800DXL.

WirelessMan

Guest networks on 7800DXL.

Post by WirelessMan »

People keep arriving here with new gadgets they want to use on the wireless network but many of these don't like any kind of encryption and I've used most of the 16 permitted MAC addresses anyway on the main 2.4GHz network.
I've set them up with a guest network, obviously with it's own SSID and client isolation, there is no security encryption so is access restricted simply to devices with MAC addresses in the master network or can any old bod out in the street use my guest network? It's not obvious from the PDF user guide and I presume there is no facility for MAC address permission on any guest network.
billion_fan

Re: Guest networks on 7800DXL.

Post by billion_fan »

WirelessMan wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:41 pm People keep arriving here with new gadgets they want to use on the wireless network but many of these don't like any kind of encryption and I've used most of the 16 permitted MAC addresses anyway on the main 2.4GHz network.
I've set them up with a guest network, obviously with it's own SSID and client isolation, there is no security encryption so is access restricted simply to devices with MAC addresses in the master network or can any old bod out in the street use my guest network? It's not obvious from the PDF user guide and I presume there is no facility for MAC address permission on any guest network.
You will need to setup more MAC filtering rules for the guest network, otherwise anyone can connect to the guest network. (attached is example of where you can select the guest network the add allowed MAC addresses)
Or setup a simple 8 digit password for the guest network, and hand that over to your guests (easier option)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WirelessMan

Re: Guest networks on 7800DXL.

Post by WirelessMan »

Thank you, I clearly hadn't investigated that "page" in the setup, thinking it was restricted to the primary SSID only and then wondering where the Guest network MAC addresses could be added.