SNR tweak

timbly

SNR tweak

Post by timbly »

Hi

I have the 7800DXL which i bought to maximise the speed out of a long copper line.
Below is a pic of my line stats;
Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 14.45.07.png
For the first time i’ve just plucked up the courage to tweak the SNR. I dropped it 1 point by replacing the existing value of -1 with 5. This has had little effect on overall speed so I would like to drop another 1 point (gently does it!). My original SNR was around 6 and now as predicted it’s around 5 (+/- 0.5). Given that 5 is now my SNR value how do i get to 4? Do I simply enter the value 4 into the box to obtain a 2 points SNR drop from the original 6 or do I re-enter 5 for a further point drop from the new starting point of 5? All a bit confusing..
Also if I want to return to the original line setting do I simply re-enter the -1 value or would i need to contact the ISP for a line reset?
Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
billion_fan

Re: SNR tweak

Post by billion_fan »

timbly wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:03 pm Hi

I have the 7800DXL which i bought to maximise the speed out of a long copper line.
Below is a pic of my line stats;

Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 14.45.07.png

For the first time i’ve just plucked up the courage to tweak the SNR. I dropped it 1 point by replacing the existing value of -1 with 5. This has had little effect on overall speed so I would like to drop another 1 point (gently does it!). My original SNR was around 6 and now as predicted it’s around 5 (+/- 0.5). Given that 5 is now my SNR value how do i get to 4? Do I simply enter the value 4 into the box to obtain a 2 points SNR drop from the original 6 or do I re-enter 5 for a further point drop from the new starting point of 5? All a bit confusing..
Also if I want to return to the original line setting do I simply re-enter the -1 value or would i need to contact the ISP for a line reset?
Thanks in advance.
Attached is the SNR table, enter 1 to -5db from your starting 6db value. (to get a SNR value of 4, enter 4)

If you want to return to your normal 6db, then enter -1 (default value)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
timbly

Re: SNR tweak

Post by timbly »

Thanks for reply.
I put 5 in and nothing really changed so then put 4 in and now SNR is hovering around 1 ! which is probably a bit low although synch speed is currently better with only 1 drop in last 12 hours. So if i enter -1 the line will reset to default with no need to involve my ISP and then i can start the process again this time aiming for more of an SNR of 3 ??
again thanks in advance