Is it possible to set a custom dnsmasq?

Moongit

Is it possible to set a custom dnsmasq?

Post by Moongit »

I want to use a Pi-hole on my network (a simple device built using a Raspberry Pi that blocks annoying adverts and "malvatising" for any device on a network configured to connect to it). There are three ways to set up a Pi-hole on a network; the somewhat time consuming way of configuring each device manually, setting the Pi-Hole as the only DNS on the network, or using dnsmasq to advertise the Pi-hole's address.

I'd rather not configure devices manually simply because of the sheer number I'd have to do it with (would take me days to accomplish, I have that many). The second option seems like it is easily done with the 7800DXL under Configuration > LAN, I'm presuming Ijust uncheck "Use Router's setting as DNS Server" and then enter the Pi-Hole's IP in the primary DNS field. There is a problem with this though as apparently hostnames would not resolve using this method which is a big problem for me as I need that functionality for many of my computers.

The third method as stated is to use dnsmasq and put in "dhcp-option=6,[IP_of_Pi-hole]" as an additional dnsmasq option. Except I cannot find anywhere in the routers GUI to put this data in. I am assuming from that the ability to add dnsmasq options is not available on this firmware (I'm using 2.32e)? Or am I just looking in all the wrong places (or perhaps it's called something else, I dunno?). I did have a quick glance to see if there were any hidden options by connecting via telnet but couldn't see anything noteworthy.

If it isn't a feature available in the firmware is it at all possible to have it enabled or added in in a future firmware only to be honest, if I can't use dnsmasq options I think rather than go through the heartache of the other ways of setting up the Pi-hole I might just as well buy a new router that has the capability. It'll be a shame to dump the BiPAC as I've been using Billion routers for at least 15 years now but needs must and all that.
billion_fan

Re: Is it possible to set a custom dnsmasq?

Post by billion_fan »

Moongit wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:46 pm I want to use a Pi-hole on my network (a simple device built using a Raspberry Pi that blocks annoying adverts and "malvatising" for any device on a network configured to connect to it). There are three ways to set up a Pi-hole on a network; the somewhat time consuming way of configuring each device manually, setting the Pi-Hole as the only DNS on the network, or using dnsmasq to advertise the Pi-hole's address.

I'd rather not configure devices manually simply because of the sheer number I'd have to do it with (would take me days to accomplish, I have that many). The second option seems like it is easily done with the 7800DXL under Configuration > LAN, I'm presuming Ijust uncheck "Use Router's setting as DNS Server" and then enter the Pi-Hole's IP in the primary DNS field. There is a problem with this though as apparently hostnames would not resolve using this method which is a big problem for me as I need that functionality for many of my computers.

The third method as stated is to use dnsmasq and put in "dhcp-option=6,[IP_of_Pi-hole]" as an additional dnsmasq option. Except I cannot find anywhere in the routers GUI to put this data in. I am assuming from that the ability to add dnsmasq options is not available on this firmware (I'm using 2.32e)? Or am I just looking in all the wrong places (or perhaps it's called something else, I dunno?). I did have a quick glance to see if there were any hidden options by connecting via telnet but couldn't see anything noteworthy.

If it isn't a feature available in the firmware is it at all possible to have it enabled or added in in a future firmware only to be honest, if I can't use dnsmasq options I think rather than go through the heartache of the other ways of setting up the Pi-hole I might just as well buy a new router that has the capability. It'll be a shame to dump the BiPAC as I've been using Billion routers for at least 15 years now but needs must and all that.

Have you tried setting your DNS servers to WAN side instead of the LAN side?? (so clients still use the router IP for the DNS to resolve local hostnames, but for the internet they will use your Pi)

Ps I have never tried this option though
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moongit

Re: Is it possible to set a custom dnsmasq?

Post by Moongit »

I did wonder if that would work but for whatever reason the pi-hole's guide to configuring it states you should change the DNS on the LAN side and "not the WAN", but it doesn't specifically state why, if there even is a reason not to. I've since found out that apparently you can also just switch off the DHCP server on the router and have the pi-hole do it too. Looks like I have a few avenues to explore to see which works best. Thanks!