Using 7800dxl with vdsl modem

billion_fan

Re: Using 7800dxl with vdsl modem

Post by billion_fan »

Detailme wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:52 pm
m-a-r-k wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:26 pm This is a tried and tested way to go as you'll see in the forums. I didn't want to change my 7800DXL - I have a complicated setup which works for me and simply don't like/trust other brands of routers to be honest. It works here and the modem and router have been incredibly stable for months on end.

If you get a Plusnet modem (similar to a BT one) or use the Openreach one as it is you can't get at the GUI and change settings such as in my case the IP address of the modem or look at the connection rates etc. This simple firmware mod allows that and it is safe and easy - no problems.
You can telnet into the modem though to see connections stats without a firmware change but not change IP address.
Hi Mark just an update to say thank you all for your help. Went with BT fibre along with a flashed HG612-3B. Getting speeds of 49/9 so happy with that.

Just a question for you knowledgeable chaps if i may! I have a Hikvision IP NVR setup. I had opened ports on the 7800DXL so I had access remotely.
This previously worked on my old broadband (adsl) via the 7800DXL but now it wont. I checked if the ports are open ( canyouseeme.org) but they are not. Would the HG612-3B be blocking these ports?
Cheers
Chris
As long as you get a public IP address on the 7800DXL you should be fine.

You will have to add your virtual servers rules again, this time when adding the virtual server rules, make sure the 'Interface' is set for a PPPoE connection and not the PPPoA connection which was your previous ADSL setup
Detailme

Post by Detailme »

Thats it you sussed it! Thanks alot
m-a-r-k

Post by m-a-r-k »

Detailme wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:52 pm Hi Mark just an update to say thank you all for your help. Went with BT fibre along with a flashed HG612-3B. Getting speeds of 49/9 so happy with that.

Cheers
Chris
Glad you got it sorted. I'm 47/8. A bit better than the 2.5Mbps I had this time last year ;-)
spicnspan7

Post by spicnspan7 »

Hello guys. I've been using 7800dxl on my standard BT broadband for several years and this week infinity became available in my area. I placed an order already so I'll be having it in few weeks. I'm planning to keep this router so I've been looking for a modem , the hg612 3B by Openreach. The thing is, I was advised by someone in another forum that I won't be able to use the QoS feature of this router with this setup. I was told the billion won't have access to the raw data or something. Would you guys please confirm this? Are there any other features of 7800DXL that I would lose with this kind of set up? Thanks in advance.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

spicnspan7 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:43 am Hello guys. I've been using 7800dxl on my standard BT broadband for several years and this week infinity became available in my area. I placed an order already so I'll be having it in few weeks. I'm planning to keep this router so I've been looking for a modem , the hg612 3B by Openreach. The thing is, I was advised by someone in another forum that I won't be able to use the QoS feature of this router with this setup. I was told the billion won't have access to the raw data or something. Would you guys please confirm this? Are there any other features of 7800DXL that I would lose with this kind of set up? Thanks in advance.
You can still use the QOS features, as long as your enter your EWAN speeds on the QOS page.

The only thing you can't do is, check your line stats, as the 7800DXL is not syncing with your DSL line anymore.
spicnspan7

Post by spicnspan7 »

Thanks Billion fan. I tried to follow the setup guide and was able to update the hg512 Openreach modem. The problem is I could not access the interface even after upgrading to unlocked version. Byt the way I'm currently still on ADSL if that makes any difference. I just tried to get it ready before they activate the fibre connection. I hooked up the DSL wire on hg612 and the small "DSL came on" so I'm quite sure it's connecting to ADSL. The other problem is I couldn't make the 780dxl work with hg612. Again, I'm not sure whether it is an issue with ADSL connection. I did follow the quickstart setup but it keeps on failing. I would appreciate anyone who would help me with these problems.
spicnspan7

Post by spicnspan7 »

Update: I am able to connect to internet using hg612 as ADSL modem and 7800dxl as router. The only issue now is how could I access the GUI of hg612 without connecting the ethernet cable to hg612. It would be helpful as billion fan said 7800dxl wont show any stats. :roll:
spicnspan7

Post by spicnspan7 »

Hi again, I've been using the LAn2 connected to the router now to access the hg612 gui and see the stats. So I supposed that even changing the router won't let me see the stats like the SNR margin since everything is synced with hg612. Is that correct?
m-a-r-k

Post by m-a-r-k »

I use a command prompt script file:
---
REM Open a Telnet window
@echo off
start telnet.exe <ipaddress_of_modem>
REM Run the script
cscript TelnetModemSendKeys.vbs
---

TelnetModemSendKeys.vbs is:
---
set OBJECT=WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WScript.sleep 50
OBJECT.SendKeys "<Login_name>{ENTER}"
WScript.sleep 50
OBJECT.SendKeys "<password>{ENTER}"
WScript.sleep 50
OBJECT.SendKeys "sh{ENTER}"
WScript.sleep 50
OBJECT.SendKeys "xdslcmd info --show{ENTER}"
WScript.sleep 50
OBJECT.SendKeys " "
---

Obviously change the strings enclosed in <> above with appropriate text.
JonWalter

Post by JonWalter »

If you want to stick with your Billion router then buy a Huawei HG612 Model 3B from Ebay. Do not be tempted to get the ECI alternative. The HG612 can be unlocked to enable you to monitor the LAN link.
https://printsbery.com/planner-templates/daily
Last edited by JonWalter on Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.