DNS lookup faster when DNS set manually on PC

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
nightcustard

DNS lookup faster when DNS set manually on PC

Post by nightcustard »

Hi!

I'm running a newly-acquired 8900AX2400 and have set it up with a Static DNS address pointing at a PC on my LAN (running Pihole). I've found that certain websites load very slowly & sometimes time out (particularly on my wife's iPad running Safari). This doesn't happen if I set the DNS address on each client computer manually to the Pihole LAN address. The client computers' addresses are assigned by the router's DHCP server.
I have the 'Use Router's setting as DNS Server' ticked in the LAN settings and the Pihole IP address set as the primary DNS in 'Advanced setup/DNS/DNS'. The secondary DNS field is blank.
I didn't have this problem with my 7800N and a swap of routers returns the speed (so I don't think it's likely to be a Pihole config issue).
If possible, I'd like to revert back to automatic DNS settings on the clients as I then only have to change the router DNS settings if the Pihole PC falls over.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how best to troubleshoot this problem?
Thanks!
billion_fan

Re: DNS lookup faster when DNS set manually on PC

Post by billion_fan »

nightcustard wrote:Hi!

I'm running a newly-acquired 8900AX2400 and have set it up with a Static DNS address pointing at a PC on my LAN (running Pihole). I've found that certain websites load very slowly & sometimes time out (particularly on my wife's iPad running Safari). This doesn't happen if I set the DNS address on each client computer manually to the Pihole LAN address. The client computers' addresses are assigned by the router's DHCP server.
I have the 'Use Router's setting as DNS Server' ticked in the LAN settings and the Pihole IP address set as the primary DNS in 'Advanced setup/DNS/DNS'. The secondary DNS field is blank.
I didn't have this problem with my 7800N and a swap of routers returns the speed (so I don't think it's likely to be a Pihole config issue).
If possible, I'd like to revert back to automatic DNS settings on the clients as I then only have to change the router DNS settings if the Pihole PC falls over.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how best to troubleshoot this problem?
Thanks!
You can untick the Use Router's setting as DNS Server option and in the 'Primary/Secondary DNS server' section enter your Pihole IP address.

Finally reverts clients back to obtain DNS servers automatically (they should obtain your piholes IP address)