8900-ax 2400 reliability

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
jprady

8900-ax 2400 reliability

Post by jprady »

Hi,

I have recently upgraded from a 7800dxl to an 8900AX2400 in preparation for (hopefully) FTTC near me soon, and I seem to be having a lot of stability issues.

Every so often, access to/from the internet seems unreliable, and I have to turn the device off and back on again to get it working again. Also (usually as a precursor to this) the DNS resolution of external sites seems to become problematic (i.e. the router acting as DNS server for local devices).

Has anyone else had similar issues? The 7800 was rock solid in comparison.

Thanks,
Jamie.
billion_fan

Re: 8900-ax 2400 reliability

Post by billion_fan »

jprady wrote:Hi,

I have recently upgraded from a 7800dxl to an 8900AX2400 in preparation for (hopefully) FTTC near me soon, and I seem to be having a lot of stability issues.

Every so often, access to/from the internet seems unreliable, and I have to turn the device off and back on again to get it working again. Also (usually as a precursor to this) the DNS resolution of external sites seems to become problematic (i.e. the router acting as DNS server for local devices).

Has anyone else had similar issues? The 7800 was rock solid in comparison.

Thanks,
Jamie.
When the issue occurs, does the DSL light and internet light stay on ??

Are you able to access the router when the issue occurs??

Are you able to ping 8.8.8.8 when the issue occurs, using telnet (windows) or terminal (mac)

Are you able to ping bbc.co.uk when the issue occurs??
jprady

Post by jprady »

OK, It has happened again.

- DSL and internet lights are both on.
- I can log onto the router web admin pages.
- I can't ping anything (returns "network unreachable"), and can't ping news.bbc.co.uk as it won't resolve.

Restarting by a power off/on gets everything going again. Interestingly my ISP thinks I'm still connected via their ADSL admin page.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jamie.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

jprady wrote:OK, It has happened again.

- DSL and internet lights are both on.
- I can log onto the router web admin pages.
- I can't ping anything (returns "network unreachable"), and can't ping news.bbc.co.uk as it won't resolve.

Restarting by a power off/on gets everything going again. Interestingly my ISP thinks I'm still connected via their ADSL admin page.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jamie.
Next time it happens try the following

1. Login to router
2. Click on 'Status >> WAN'
3. Click on the 'Disconnect' button
4. Then click on the 'Connect' button to reconnect
5. Once reconnected check to see if you have a internet connection
jprady

Post by jprady »

OK, Clicking on disconnect then reconnect and the reconnect sits there for ages doing nothing.

I ended up getting tired of waiting, and rebooted via the web interface.

Thanks,
Jamie.
mognog

Post by mognog »

Hi Jamie,

I have an 8900-ax2400 and am not experiencing any issues (or at least none that I'm aware of). I am however connected slightly differently to you which is via sky broadband fibre as a one box solution.

Here are a few of my ideas to help you narrow down the issue:

Are your tests via an Ethernet cable directly plugged into the router or via Wi-Fi? (i.e. is it the Wi-Fi that's playing up).

What version of software is your router running on?

Is there any pattern to when you go off line (ie certain times of day - may be some sort of interference?)

You can always try a factory reset and configure it again just to make sure nothing has been configured incorrectly prior to you receiving it. (I know its a boring job retyping everything in again but when you start running out of ideas its worth a try)

Thanks

mognog
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

jprady wrote:OK, Clicking on disconnect then reconnect and the reconnect sits there for ages doing nothing.

I ended up getting tired of waiting, and rebooted via the web interface.

Thanks,
Jamie.
Hi Jamie

Can you submit a ticket on the following link,

http://www.billion.uk.com/esupport/inde ... ets/Submit
Radiocrazy

Post by Radiocrazy »

Well I was expecting the worst but so far so good when I first connected to the internet it dropped the connection so I done a factory reset then deleted the PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) which was in by default then I manually set up the PPP over Ethernet and entered the standard BT protocols then I had a reliable connection as good as the openreach modem I used with the BiPAC 7800DXL so it may be worth a try even though it sounds a little pointless, the Netgear D7800 dropped the line all the time whatever I done I even got down on my knees and prayed the only thing that happened was pins and needles in my feet.