Lightning strike check/repair

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
adeux001

Lightning strike check/repair

Post by adeux001 »

Hi,

My 8900ax-2400 suffered a lightning strike. There was a small amount of smoke from the case.

I have replaced it with a new one.

However, apart from adsl the original still seems to be functional. So I think it is just the adsl that has burnt out. Is there a way to have it checked/repaired?

It is just over a year old.

Thanks
billion_fan

Re: Lightning strike check/repair

Post by billion_fan »

adeux001 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:56 pm Hi,

My 8900ax-2400 suffered a lightning strike. There was a small amount of smoke from the case.

I have replaced it with a new one.

However, apart from adsl the original still seems to be functional. So I think it is just the adsl that has burnt out. Is there a way to have it checked/repaired?

It is just over a year old.

Thanks
I think when all the costs are added up (this is including shipping to Taiwan, repair costs and return shipping/admin fees) it will be probably come near the cost of a new unit.

Plus the repair will only carry 3 months warranty.

As its just the DSL chip blown you can still use it as a broadband router utilizing the EWAN port
adeux001

Post by adeux001 »

billion_fan wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:14 am I think when all the costs are added up (this is including shipping to Taiwan, repair costs and return shipping/admin fees) it will be probably come near the cost of a new unit.

As its just the DSL chip blown you can still use it as a broadband router utilizing the EWAN port
Thanks - I thought that might be the case.

By way of a feature request, on both the original and the replacement, when you are using the EWAN the summary page does not show any throughput information. Would it be possible to show the EWAN upload download speed data as well as the ADSL?

Thanks
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

adeux001 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:49 am
billion_fan wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:14 am I think when all the costs are added up (this is including shipping to Taiwan, repair costs and return shipping/admin fees) it will be probably come near the cost of a new unit.

Thanks - I thought that might be the case.

By way of a feature request, on both the original and the replacement, when you are using the EWAN the summary page does not show any throughput information. Would it be possible to show the EWAN upload download speed data as well as the ADSL?

Thanks
Won't be possible as it can't pull the stats from the device connected to the EWAN port (this will normally be logged on the modem/router that is connected to the EWAN port)