Two XBox consoles, one Billion 8800NL Router

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
MrChips

Two XBox consoles, one Billion 8800NL Router

Post by MrChips »

So I've been having this problem recently where due to having multiple XBoxes in the household that XBoxes need an open NAT. However quite often the NAT is either a Strict or Moderate and only occasionally Open - meaning people complaining at me that they cannot play online. So the question is. If you have two XBoxes - identical, that both need the same firewall ports open - how do you configure the Billion router to ensure both XBoxes have an Open NAT? As uPnP doesn't seem to be able achieve an open NAT for both consoles - uPnP is enabled. This problem is further complicated as I have a PS4 for my use. Kids the XBoxes. Using uPnP in the past for PS4, even on its own, resulted in a moderate NAT - even without the XBoxes. So I've put the PS4 in the DMZ which does seem to have resolved the issue for the PS4. With multiple consoles though uPnP doesn't seem to be giving Open NAT for each console. Perhaps I need to configure the router in a different way?

Researching this online seems to suggest uPnP should work for multiple identical consoles. Although I'm not sure.

Thanks.
billion_fan

Re: Two XBox consoles, one Billion 8800NL Router

Post by billion_fan »

MrChips wrote:So I've been having this problem recently where due to having multiple XBoxes in the household that XBoxes need an open NAT. However quite often the NAT is either a Strict or Moderate and only occasionally Open - meaning people complaining at me that they cannot play online. So the question is. If you have two XBoxes - identical, that both need the same firewall ports open - how do you configure the Billion router to ensure both XBoxes have an Open NAT? As uPnP doesn't seem to be able achieve an open NAT for both consoles - uPnP is enabled. This problem is further complicated as I have a PS4 for my use. Kids the XBoxes. Using uPnP in the past for PS4, even on its own, resulted in a moderate NAT - even without the XBoxes. So I've put the PS4 in the DMZ which does seem to have resolved the issue for the PS4. With multiple consoles though uPnP doesn't seem to be giving Open NAT for each console. Perhaps I need to configure the router in a different way?

Researching this online seems to suggest uPnP should work for multiple identical consoles. Although I'm not sure.

Thanks.
Have you tried to fully shut down each console that is showing strict or moderate nat types, by holding down the power button on the xbox ones, for five seconds, once rebooted check the NAT type and UPNP ports under 'Virtual server' you should see some rules added for each device
MrChips

Post by MrChips »

No I've not tried this but I will do to see if the problem goes away - and report back over the coming days.

I did last night power down an xbox one, assign it a fixed IP address, powered it back up and it came back with an Open NAT. Saying that I've had an Open NAT before (using DCHP allocated IP addresses) but the following day it's gone back to strict again where I noticed the IP Address had changed from .113 to .108 - even though I've set the DHCP lease time to 3 days.

One related question. If I assign an xbox one a fixed IP address, outside of the DHCP range, will uPnP still work for the xbox one which has a fixed IP?

Thanks.
Last edited by MrChips on Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

MrChips wrote:Not I've not tried this but I will do to see if the problem goes away - and report back over the coming days.

I did last night power down an xbox one, assign it a fixed IP address, powered it back up and it came back with an Open NAT. Saying that I've had an Open NAT before (using DCHP allocated IP addresses) but the following day it's gone back to strict again where I noticed the IP Address had changed from .113 to .108 - even though I've set the DHCP lease time to 3 days.

One related question. If I assign an xbox one a fixed IP address, outside of the DHCP range, will uPnP still work for the xbox one which has a fixed IP?

Thanks.
It should still work, I know the xbox one has NAT issues once in stand by mode (not fully shut down) something xbox will have to fix.
MrChips

Post by MrChips »

OK. Thanks. I'll see how I fair with powering it down fully and see if it powers-up with an Open NAT.
MrChips

Post by MrChips »

Thanks billion_fan. Powering down the Xbox and back-up again returns the NAT to Open very reliably.

Just to double check - does the 8800NL uPnP officially support multiple consoles? I know this might seem a daft question but apparently not all routers do.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

MrChips wrote:Thanks billion_fan. Powering down the Xbox and back-up again returns the NAT to Open very reliably.

Just to double check - does the 8800NL uPnP officially support multiple consoles? I know this might seem a daft question but apparently not all routers do.
It should do, so when you check the Virtual Server list you will see UPNP rules for each xbox