Port forwarding

davidjpowell

Port forwarding

Post by davidjpowell »

I have just installed a 7800n. Quite impressed, but struggling with port forwarding.

I have a Iomega Media Home Network drive, where I keep work files. I want to be able to access these remotely when I am on the road, usually from a Ipad app. The drive includes software to control remote access so this should be possible. I could not set this up on the old router, but did not try very hard.

I can access the drive, using Wifi and the drive IP, but not from an external address. This suggests that something is stopping the signal making it through the router. I have forwarded the ports as below. Any ideas where I may be going wrong?

tinytim

Re: Port forwarding

Post by tinytim »

This port forwarding works just fine.

You need to direct the port you access the device on to the internal IP address of the device & it's internal port.

So to access it from outside it'll be connecting to your broadband IP address + the port number.

So if I connect to my NAS using Telnet (with the Putty application ) I'd go 94.xx.xx.xx & port 23 having set the appropriate rule for port 23 access in the 7800N.