BiPAC 8900AX R2 Wireless on/off button not working

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
harry66

BiPAC 8900AX R2 Wireless on/off button not working

Post by harry66 »

Hi all,

I have a BiPAC 8900AX R2 and recently added Deco M5 mesh wifi to the house so disabled the Wifi of the Bipac and continue to use the Bipac as a modem router. The Deco is operating in AP mode and working well.

But I would like to enable the BIPAC Wifi using the Admin interface, and then disable using the small Wireless button on the back. This would mean that if ever the Deco network failed - any family member could restore Wifi on the Bipac using the button and carry on using the Bipac Wifi until I can resolve any problems with the Deco.

The Bipac user manual states that if I depress the small button (next to the reset) for more than 6secs it should turn the Wifi on/off.

But it is not working - tried holding the button for 7secs and even 10secs - but the Wifi remains on regardless.

Any ideas where this is going wrong - is there some other setting I need to enable via the Admin interface?

Thanks.
billion_fan

Re: BiPAC 8900AX R2 Wireless on/off button not working

Post by billion_fan »

harry66 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:16 pm Hi all,

I have a BiPAC 8900AX R2 and recently added Deco M5 mesh wifi to the house so disabled the Wifi of the Bipac and continue to use the Bipac as a modem router. The Deco is operating in AP mode and working well.

But I would like to enable the BIPAC Wifi using the Admin interface, and then disable using the small Wireless button on the back. This would mean that if ever the Deco network failed - any family member could restore Wifi on the Bipac using the button and carry on using the Bipac Wifi until I can resolve any problems with the Deco.

The Bipac user manual states that if I depress the small button (next to the reset) for more than 6secs it should turn the Wifi on/off.

But it is not working - tried holding the button for 7secs and even 10secs - but the Wifi remains on regardless.

Any ideas where this is going wrong - is there some other setting I need to enable via the Admin interface?

Thanks.
I just tested it here and it works fine, (I'm running 2.52.d3)

I press and hold the WPS button (the button that sticks out next to the reset pin hole) for 5 seconds, first the 5ghz LED goes out followed by the 2.4ghz, when I press the WPS button again (to turn on the wifi) for 5 seconds first the 2.4ghz LED lights up followed by the 5ghz
harry66

Post by harry66 »

Thanks - will try again and watch the lights - see what happens - pretty sure when I tried yesterday the lights just stayed on.

Just one more question - if I have disabled the Wifi using the admin interface, should the button override? Or do I need to leave it enabled in the Admin system and then just use the button to disable/enable?

Thanks.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

harry66 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:40 am Thanks - will try again and watch the lights - see what happens - pretty sure when I tried yesterday the lights just stayed on.

Just one more question - if I have disabled the Wifi using the admin interface, should the button override? Or do I need to leave it enabled in the Admin system and then just use the button to disable/enable?

Thanks.
I also tested that part just incase, the button should over ride the web gui setting, so if disabled within the web gui, when the button is pressed, it should come on again.
harry66

Post by harry66 »

Hi,
I tested this again - with my eye on the lights on the front.

Initially with the Wifi disabled via the Admin gui, if I hold the button down longer than 6 secs, both the Wifi lights come on and the WPS light continues to flash for a while too.

However, once the Wifi is on, holding the button down does not turn it back off - no matter how long I hold it. The WPS light continues to flash for a while. I did wait a while before repeating the test, but it made no difference - the Wifi remained on.

I guess this will do for now - I can disable in the GUI and the family can always turn it on if the Deco network fails.

I can then turn it off in the Gui again when required.

BTW I am running 2.52.d3 in case that helps.

Cheers.