Ctashing when NOT DHCP server

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
TechnicalScholar

Ctashing when NOT DHCP server

Post by TechnicalScholar »

Hey all

random crashing happening when playing with the settings a little.

I'm loosing control of the router and internet access/network access when I use my Pi Hole as a DHCP + DNS server.

If i reboot the router with a power cycle it fixes it enough for me to swap settings again.

Not sure if this is a feature or just a random code bug but interesting non the less.

I have returned the router aback to my DHCP server and PiHole as the DNS server and all is stable again.

I'm guessing i've lost the logs with a power cycle?

Cheers

Sean
TechnicalScholar

Re: Ctashing when NOT DHCP server

Update,

Now getting constant crashing
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

TechnicalScholar wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:08 pm Update,

Now getting constant crashing
What changes are you making to the router when the issue occurs??

Can you capture the logs on your PI Hole (with the router syslog set to debugging) so we can investigate. (so setting up your PI hole as a syslog server)
TechnicalScholar

Hey!

I've tried turning of DHCP on the router and turning on the Pi followed by a reboot of pi (waiting for it to come online again) then rebooting the router and AP's after the pi is back stays stable for about 20 mins then locks up.

I've done a FW upgrade to 2.52 d3 (I'm using the 1600) which has fixed the instability I was suffering with the other night but the Billion is now the DHCP server again.

It's not the end of the world I just wanted to see what was doing what on the PiHole side instead of everything reporting as home.gateway

I have found a work around by manually assigning DNS settings to the PiHole on devices I'm interested in.

I tried setting up rsyslog but couldn't get it to record logs (I'm using dietpi so had to set it all up manually) I'm not very good with Linux still :lol:

I