adeux001

One to One Nat

Post by adeux001 »

Hi,

8900AX2400
Software Version 2.52.d34

I am trying to set up One to One NAT.

The host is set up with an internal IP address:

I have set the information on the Configuration > NAT > One to One NAT page.
Global IP address xxx.yyy.zzz.90
Internal IP address 192.168.1.200
valid true

If I enter the global IP address on the LAN side it is correctly routed to the host. However, if I enter the global IP address from outside the connection fails.

I can change the router's external IP address to the host address and that works, in that it connects to the router from the WAN side.

An external trace route show the route to the global IP address, but does not seem to recognise it has reached the target. I think this indicates the packet reaching the router, but not being passed to the host.

It seems like I have missed a configuration step, but cannot work out what it should be.

Any thoughts?

Thnx
billion_fan

Re: One to One Nat

Post by billion_fan »

adeux001 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:47 pm Hi,

8900AX2400
Software Version 2.52.d34

I am trying to set up One to One NAT.

The host is set up with an internal IP address:

I have set the information on the Configuration > NAT > One to One NAT page.
Global IP address xxx.yyy.zzz.90
Internal IP address 192.168.1.200
valid true

If I enter the global IP address on the LAN side it is correctly routed to the host. However, if I enter the global IP address from outside the connection fails.

I can change the router's external IP address to the host address and that works, in that it connects to the router from the WAN side.

An external trace route show the route to the global IP address, but does not seem to recognise it has reached the target. I think this indicates the packet reaching the router, but not being passed to the host.

It seems like I have missed a configuration step, but cannot work out what it should be.

Any thoughts?

Thnx
On the 192.168.1.200 device if you check whatsmyip.org does it show the correct WAN IP (the global IP address you set within the one to one NAT section)

If it does then it should be set correctly, when using one to one NAT all ports should be exposed, so no firewall within the router should be blocking you.

I would suggest checking the firewall settings on your device (192.168.1.200)

Also make sure you have selected the correct interface when adding the one to one nat rule eg PPPoA = ADSL, PPPoE = VDSL
adeux001

Post by adeux001 »

billion_fan,

Thank you for the response. It is a linux headless server with command line only. The equivalent command:

dig +short myip.opendns.com @resolver1.opendns.com

returns the router's public IP

So it seems that NAT is still happening.

Thnx
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

adeux001 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:51 pm billion_fan,

Thank you for the response. It is a linux headless server with command line only. The equivalent command:

dig +short myip.opendns.com @resolver1.opendns.com

returns the router's public IP

So it seems that NAT is still happening.

Thnx
Not sure why, I have tested the one to one NAT function here using 2.52.d34

I setup the one to one NAT rule
Setup VNC on the PC
Tried to access the device via VNC viewer from a remote connection and it worked fine (using the one to one NAT external IP)

Maybe you can test the function with a PC first to see if it is working correctly.
adeux001

Post by adeux001 »

Hi,

Thanks, with your pointer I have solved this problem. It was a routing issue on the host. The server has dual NICs and the responses were being sent back via the 'other' NIC and so not recognised, by the 8900, as coming from the one to one NATed host.

By adding the correct routing table entry to send responses back to the same NIC it now works.