8900AX-2400: switching from P5 to EWAN

Discussions for BiPAC 8900 series: 8900AX-1600, 8900AX-2400, 8900X
gatekeeper

8900AX-2400: switching from P5 to EWAN

Post by gatekeeper »

To change between standard wired Ethernet operation of port P5 and EWAN, is there any internal configuring of the 8900 required, or is the operating of that particular port determined entirely by the 8900 auto-sensing what's connected to it? Page 11 of the User Manual describes the rear ports on the router and states "LAN5 automatically becomes an EWAN port when EWAN internet interface is selected in the GUI". But I can find no such selection within the GUI - that's with nothing actually physically connected to the P5/EWAN port, incidentally.

Is it that DSL operation, working via the normal DSL port on the router, removes the ability to make any such selection from within the GUI, or is it maybe that the setting is hidden if the type of WAN service appropriate to EWAN is non-usable?

Is perhaps the info in the User Manual misleading, in that maybe the P5/EWAN port has to actually sense a modem of some sort being connected to P5, before any configuring of the port to EWAN is made available? And otherwise, with normal usage of the DSL port, ie. the DSL port connecting straight to the Internet, the P5 port operation defaults to Ethernet and no internal configuring of the router is required?
billion_fan

Re: 8900AX-2400: switching from P5 to EWAN

Post by billion_fan »

gatekeeper wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:28 pm To change between standard wired Ethernet operation of port P5 and EWAN, is there any internal configuring of the 8900 required, or is the operating of that particular port determined entirely by the 8900 auto-sensing what's connected to it? Page 11 of the User Manual describes the rear ports on the router and states "LAN5 automatically becomes an EWAN port when EWAN internet interface is selected in the GUI". But I can find no such selection within the GUI - that's with nothing actually physically connected to the P5/EWAN port, incidentally.

Is it that DSL operation, working via the normal DSL port on the router, removes the ability to make any such selection from within the GUI, or is it maybe that the setting is hidden if the type of WAN service appropriate to EWAN is non-usable?

Is perhaps the info in the User Manual misleading, in that maybe the P5/EWAN port has to actually sense a modem of some sort being connected to P5, before any configuring of the port to EWAN is made available? And otherwise, with normal usage of the DSL port, ie. the DSL port connecting straight to the Internet, the P5 port operation defaults to Ethernet and no internal configuring of the router is required?
You need to configure the device for a Ethernet WAN, to use the the fifth ethernet port as a EWAN port. (within the web gui)
Or if you run through the quick start option and set the devices WAN to Ethernet, the fifth ethernet port will be converted to a EWAN port.
So when using the normal DSL port as the WAN (as you have set the device up to use the DSL port), you don't need to configure anything on the device to use the 5th ethernet port as a normal 1gbps port.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper »

Ah, so that particular GUI page you're showing there is the one you'd get to by clicking Configuration > WAN and then selecting the Edit button for the requisite service. So, okay I do that, but I'm running in PTM mode and I therefore do not see either 'WAN Port' or 'Layer 2 Interface'. As far as I can see from that image, you've got ATM selected.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

gatekeeper wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:22 pm Ah, so that particular GUI page you're showing there is the one you'd get to by clicking Configuration > WAN and then selecting the Edit button for the requisite service. So, okay I do that, but I'm running in PTM mode and I therefore do not see either 'WAN Port' or 'Layer 2 Interface'. As far as I can see from that image, you've got ATM selected.
Click on 'Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service, then 'Add', then you will see the WAN port
gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper »

Found it! So, in fact, you have to ADD the further service. You then get the 'DSL' option (that represents EWAN) offered to you in the WAN Port menu in the page that comes up. That's very useful to know. Had you not told me the precise path to that menu, I'd have never found it.

BTW, if you do use Port 5 as an EWAN port, does this mean that you cannot use the normal DSL port connection on the 8900 at the same time? Or is it instead the one or the other, but not both simultaneously?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

gatekeeper wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:46 pm Found it! So, in fact, you have to ADD the further service. You then get the 'DSL' option (that represents EWAN) offered to you in the WAN Port menu in the page that comes up. That's very useful to know. Had you not told me the precise path to that menu, I'd have never found it.

BTW, if you do use Port 5 as an EWAN port, does this mean that you cannot use the normal DSL port connection on the 8900 at the same time? Or is it instead the one or the other, but not both simultaneously?
Normally it is used for failover/fallback (so DSL as primary, and EWAN as secondary, if the DSL fails the EWAN will kick in)
gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper »

I take it then that that means 'one or the other but not both'. That's to say, you can use the normal DSL port for your ADSL/VDSL connection to the Internet, but if for some reason a working connection on that becomes impossible or you decide, for whatever reason, to connect to the Internet instead using a standalone modem, the P5/EWAN port can be assigned as effectively the replacement means of connecting to the Internet.

Unless you happen to be running two phonelines, each having its own ISP account, I guess it HAS to be 'one or the other but not both', as (as far as I'm aware) you can't have two simultaneous DSL connections to one phoneline.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

gatekeeper wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:24 am I take it then that that means 'one or the other but not both'. That's to say, you can use the normal DSL port for your ADSL/VDSL connection to the Internet, but if for some reason a working connection on that becomes impossible or you decide, for whatever reason, to connect to the Internet instead using a standalone modem, the P5/EWAN port can be assigned as effectively the replacement means of connecting to the Internet.

Unless you happen to be running two phonelines, each having its own ISP account, I guess it HAS to be 'one or the other but not both', as (as far as I'm aware) you can't have two simultaneous DSL connections to one phoneline.
Thats right
edblun

Post by edblun »

further on from the use of port 5 / EWAN...
I have just acquired the 3 HomeFi router from 3 Internet, (huawei -B3111-2277), I want to use the EWAN Port / Port 5 to accept incoming wan service from the router, for then to share out via all the other ports.
Any advice on settings?
UPDATE, PLEASE SEE SCREEN SHOT:
Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 22.17.10.JPG
I have managed to get the ewan port to work, I have also managed to get Internet access via the 3 router, I set the Failover to prioritize the 3 Internet (see image)
Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 22.21.55.JPG
my question is, have i got all the settings right?
please advise, thanks in advance,
regards,
ed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by edblun on Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

edblun wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:07 pm further on from the use of port 5 / EWAN...
I have just acquired the 3 HomeFi router from 3 Internet, (huawei -B3111-2277), I want to use the EWAN Port / Port 5 to accept incoming wan service from the router, for then to share out via all the other ports.
Any advice on settings?
Setup the device for a Ethernet >> IP over Ethernet connection using the quick start option.

Make sure the subnets do not clash

eg Billion - 192.168.1.x
Homefi - 192.168.0.x