8800NL R2 / Sky Fibre Broadband Speed vs Sky Q Hub

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
m1kegibson

8800NL R2 / Sky Fibre Broadband Speed vs Sky Q Hub

Post by m1kegibson »

Hi everyone. I have just installed an 8800NL R2 as a replacement for my Sky supplied Q Hub. The rational for replacing was to get a better feature set and in particular greater control over port forwarding/mapping etc. In this regard, the 8800NL is way better and I am more than happy with the feature set and stability thus far.

However, I have noticed that the 8800NL throughput is consistently 3Mbps down on what the Sky Q hub achieves. I get reported results around 47Mbps down/16 Mbps up on the 8800NL compared to 50Mbps down/19Mbps up on the Sky hub.

I am using a wired Gigabit Ethernet (router is connected to my infrastructure via gigabit EWAN port) so I cannot see that this is LAN side constraint. I am using Ookla speedtest and have switched between the two routers in order to run the comparisons "side-by-side" at various times of the day and the difference is pretty consistent.

I was hoping that the 8800NL might eek more out of the connection rather than less. I am wondering whether anyone else has a similar experience and whether there might be any tips for getting back the bit of bandwidth I have lost. I have no intention of reverting to the Sky Q hub so this is not a deal breaker but any thoughts would be appreciated.
billion_fan

Re: 8800NL R2 / Sky Fibre Broadband Speed vs Sky Q Hub

Post by billion_fan »

m1kegibson wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:39 pm Hi everyone. I have just installed an 8800NL R2 as a replacement for my Sky supplied Q Hub. The rational for replacing was to get a better feature set and in particular greater control over port forwarding/mapping etc. In this regard, the 8800NL is way better and I am more than happy with the feature set and stability thus far.

However, I have noticed that the 8800NL throughput is consistently 3Mbps down on what the Sky Q hub achieves. I get reported results around 47Mbps down/16 Mbps up on the 8800NL compared to 50Mbps down/19Mbps up on the Sky hub.

I am using a wired Gigabit Ethernet (router is connected to my infrastructure via gigabit EWAN port) so I cannot see that this is LAN side constraint. I am using Ookla speedtest and have switched between the two routers in order to run the comparisons "side-by-side" at various times of the day and the difference is pretty consistent.

I was hoping that the 8800NL might eek more out of the connection rather than less. I am wondering whether anyone else has a similar experience and whether there might be any tips for getting back the bit of bandwidth I have lost. I have no intention of reverting to the Sky Q hub so this is not a deal breaker but any thoughts would be appreciated.
We are unable to tweak the SNR on the 8800 series, to get more speed out of the connection.

I can only put the sync speed difference down the DSL chipset used in the 8800NLR2