BiPAC 8800NL R2 - Help configuring failover on EWAN

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
JohnNaylor

BiPAC 8800NL R2 - Help configuring failover on EWAN

Post by JohnNaylor »

Hi.

I'm trying to configure a 8800NL R2 router (software version 2.52.d15) to failover to the EWAN port, but can't find much information to get this working.

The setup would be:

Billion router using an FTTC connection as primary, auto-failover to a 4G router I have connected to the EWAN port.

Is this possible and how would I go about doing it?

The router is tested and working on FTTC, so it's just the additional config for the failover that is needed.

I appreciate that the Billion-8800AXL would likely be able to do this more easily with a dongle, but I have a quantity of 8800NL R2 routers and 4G rotuers that it would be very beneficial to get this config working on, if it's possible.

Thanks,

John
billion_fan

Re: BiPAC 8800NL R2 - Help configuring failover on EWAN

Post by billion_fan »

JohnNaylor wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:39 am Hi.

I'm trying to configure a 8800NL R2 router (software version 2.52.d15) to failover to the EWAN port, but can't find much information to get this working.

The setup would be:

Billion router using an FTTC connection as primary, auto-failover to a 4G router I have connected to the EWAN port.

Is this possible and how would I go about doing it?

The router is tested and working on FTTC, so it's just the additional config for the failover that is needed.

I appreciate that the Billion-8800AXL would likely be able to do this more easily with a dongle, but I have a quantity of 8800NL R2 routers and 4G rotuers that it would be very beneficial to get this config working on, if it's possible.

Thanks,

John
I am assuming your 4G router will assign a IP to the Billion using its DHCP server, if so follow the steps below

1. First setup a Ethernet >>> IP Over Ethernet connection (Configuration >> WAN >> WAN Service, make sure you set the IPOE connection to 'Selected Default Gateway Interfaces, and Selected DNS Server Interfaces when setting up the WAN interface )
2.Set the up Failover/Fallback with the 'Host' ping option used (as shown on the attahced screen shot)

That should be it, if the VDSL connection fails, it will failover to the EWAN connection, once the VDSL connection is back up it will fallback to the VDSL connection
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohnNaylor

Post by JohnNaylor »

Thanks Billion Fan!

That's exceptionally helpful. I've tested and got that working.

The speedy reply was much appreciated.

Cheers,

John
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

JohnNaylor wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:14 pm Thanks Billion Fan!

That's exceptionally helpful. I've tested and got that working.

The speedy reply was much appreciated.

Cheers,

John
That's great news mate :D