Help configuring router for an idiot

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
lmrlr90

Help configuring router for an idiot

Post by lmrlr90 »

I fully admit this is probably me being an idiot so please bare with me. The setup in my house is as follows
We have BT fibre in the house with their smart hub. All works fine. We have a garage with a room above it that we would like to get wifi. There is an ethernet cable that runs from the house to the garage. I have blocked the billion 8800nl r2 router into the garage. have switched off the bt smart hub while i try to configure.

I spoke to the billion helpline who have told me I need to change the IP address of the billion router which I have done but when trying to configure the router I keep getting the message, ethernet line not ready. Is this a problem with the set up or a problem with my line?

I followed the quick step guide. Do I only need to fill the username and password of my bt account(that i use to login on their website) and no other details or do I need to fill in service, IP address etc
billion_fan

Re: Help configuring router for an idiot

Post by billion_fan »

lmrlr90 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:23 pm I fully admit this is probably me being an idiot so please bare with me. The setup in my house is as follows
We have BT fibre in the house with their smart hub. All works fine. We have a garage with a room above it that we would like to get wifi. There is an ethernet cable that runs from the house to the garage. I have blocked the billion 8800nl r2 router into the garage. have switched off the bt smart hub while i try to configure.

I spoke to the billion helpline who have told me I need to change the IP address of the billion router which I have done but when trying to configure the router I keep getting the message, ethernet line not ready. Is this a problem with the set up or a problem with my line?

I followed the quick step guide. Do I only need to fill the username and password of my bt account(that i use to login on their website) and no other details or do I need to fill in service, IP address etc
I have dropped you a update on our support portal.

You don't need to enter your BT username and password when using Ethernet >> IPoE mode, as your BT home hub should be authenticating.

Your BT home hub needs to be on, so it can provide a active Ethernet connection to your garage and then to the 8800NL

If it is on and you still get the error message Ethernet line not ready, this means there might be a problem with the Ethernet connection.

Can you try plugging a PC to the Ethernet connection coming into the garage to make sure the PC can browse the internet etc, so we know the connection between the home hub and your garage is active and working properly.

I will make a config file for you and post it in a minute which should be up and ready to go.
billion_fan

Re: Help configuring router for an idiot

Post by billion_fan »

billion_fan wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:27 am
lmrlr90 wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 7:23 pm I fully admit this is probably me being an idiot so please bare with me. The setup in my house is as follows

I have dropped you a update on our support portal.

You don't need to enter your BT username and password when using Ethernet >> IPoE mode, as your BT home hub should be authenticating.

Your BT home hub needs to be on, so it can provide a active Ethernet connection to your garage and then to the 8800NL

If it is on and you still get the error message Ethernet line not ready, this means there might be a problem with the Ethernet connection.

Can you try plugging a PC to the Ethernet connection coming into the garage to make sure the PC can browse the internet etc, so we know the connection between the home hub and your garage is active and working properly.

I will make a config file you and post it in a minute which should be up and ready to go.
Attached it the config file I mentioned. (I have zipped the config file so you will need to extract it to your desktop)

Steps below

1. Login to the Billion
2. Click on 'Configuration >> System >> Backup / Update'
3. Within the 'Restore Configuration' click on the 'Browse/Choose File' option and select the config file I have attached
4. Click on 'Update Settings'

Now once upgraded, make sure the Ethernet connection in your garage is connected to the blue EWAN port, also make sure your BT hub is up and running

The settings within the config are below

LAN IP = 192.168.2.254 (username - admin and password - admin to login)
DHCP range - 192.168.2.100~192.168.2.199

WAN Type = Ethernet >> IPoE (obtain a IP address automatically)

Wireless SSID - Garage Wifi
Wireless password - billionuk

Once everything is working feel free to change the wireless SSID and password to you own preference. (that's the only thing you need to change for this setup)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.