8800NL R2

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
jamesjay

8800NL R2

Post by jamesjay »

Hi.

I am using an 8800 R2 in bridge modem mode (for fibre optic) with a 7800 DXL as the router and was thinking about using a VPN. I do have a VPN from *igibit (hope I am not breaking any rules with mentioning a name), but I am not even sure if either device will take or work with a VPN.

I presume I am going to need another VPN provider because I have checked their compatible router page and neither are listed, so I need to know the pro's and con's of doing this. At the moment I have a VPN on my android phone and an enigma 2 streaming box and I can use it on up to 6 devices...so I have spare capacity on my VPN.

Any help or instructions on how I would go about installing an VPN on either device would be helpful, even if it is just for the experience of getting it working.

Thanks in advance,
James.
billion_fan

Re: 8800NL R2

Post by billion_fan »

jamesjay wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:28 pm Hi.

I am using an 8800 R2 in bridge modem mode (for fibre optic) with a 7800 DXL as the router and was thinking about using a VPN. I do have a VPN from *igibit (hope I am not breaking any rules with mentioning a name), but I am not even sure if either device will take or work with a VPN.

I presume I am going to need another VPN provider because I have checked their compatible router page and neither are listed, so I need to know the pro's and con's of doing this. At the moment I have a VPN on my android phone and an enigma 2 streaming box and I can use it on up to 6 devices...so I have spare capacity on my VPN.

Any help or instructions on how I would go about installing an VPN on either device would be helpful, even if it is just for the experience of getting it working.

Thanks in advance,
James.
Both devices 8800NLR2 and 7800DXL do not have a onbaord VPN, so not possible.
jamesjay

Post by jamesjay »

Hi Billion_fan,

Sorry for the late reply I have been away...thank you for your reply...sooner or later I need to get a decent all in fibre optic modem/router with builtin VPN, for future reference what would you recommended?

Thanks again for your help both now and in the past it is appreciated.
James.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

jamesjay wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:02 am Hi Billion_fan,

Sorry for the late reply I have been away...thank you for your reply...sooner or later I need to get a decent all in fibre optic modem/router with builtin VPN, for future reference what would you recommended?

James.
What type of VPN are you planning on using ??

Are you planning on using VPN with VPN provider or just to dial into your network??
jamesjay

Post by jamesjay »

billion_fan wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:58 am

James.

Are you planning on using VPN with VPN provider or just to dial into your network??
To be honest I haven't done any research, excuse my ignorance but I only started using a VPN a few weeks ago on a streaming device and because it was only a few £'s a month without a fixed term subscription and I could use on up to 6 devices thought about putting a VPN on the 8800NL R2.

Since I posted I have been using the 8800 as a stand alone modem/router and some of the streaming problems I had have now gone...so maybe the 7800 was getting a little old in the tooth or bridging was causing me problems although I didn't notice any internet problems when using other devices. All my streaming devices are hardwired to the router with a static IP addresses so I thought why not VPN the router.

Thanks for reply.
James.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

jamesjay wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:01 pm
billion_fan wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:58 am

James.

To be honest I haven't done any research, excuse my ignorance but I only started using a VPN a few weeks ago on a streaming device and because it was only a few £'s a month without a fixed term subscription and I could use on up to 6 devices thought about putting a VPN on the 8800NL R2.

Since I posted I have been using the 8800 as a stand alone modem/router and some of the streaming problems I had have now gone...so maybe the 7800 was getting a little old in the tooth or bridging was causing me problems although I didn't notice any internet problems when using other devices. All my streaming devices are hardwired to the router with a static IP addresses so I thought why not VPN the router.

Thanks for reply.
James.
It all depends on your speeds requirements, you might have to look for a brand that offers high throughput when using a VPN tunnel.

Our Billion devices will be limited when routing all traffic through the VPN tunnel to around 8mbps up and down (so not ideal for a VDSL/FTTC/Fibre connection)