Raspberry Pi Pi-Hole custom DNS server settings on 8800NL

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
mrpie123

Raspberry Pi Pi-Hole custom DNS server settings on 8800NL

Post by mrpie123 »

I'm having trouble setting up the Raspberry Pi 'Pihole' as the default DNS server on the 8800NL router.

PiHole is a network wide ad-blocker and it has a blacklist of known advert domains and blocks them.I want to set this up but it seems really confusing with the router settings, can anyone help?

My internal static IP of the Pi is 192.168.1.150 - does it need to be below the 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.254 range that DHCP allocates as per default settings??

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great - thanks a lot!! :D
billion_fan

Re: Raspberry Pi Pi-Hole custom DNS server settings on 8800NL

Post by billion_fan »

mrpie123 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:51 pm I'm having trouble setting up the Raspberry Pi 'Pihole' as the default DNS server on the 8800NL router.

PiHole is a network wide ad-blocker and it has a blacklist of known advert domains and blocks them.I want to set this up but it seems really confusing with the router settings, can anyone help?

My internal static IP of the Pi is 192.168.1.150 - does it need to be below the 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.254 range that DHCP allocates as per default settings??

If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great - thanks a lot!! :D
I personally don't have a DNS server, but attached is a screen shot showing where you can adjust the settings within the router, to add your own DNS server, also in the screen shot is the adjusted DHCP range, so your DNS server does not conflict with other devices within the DHCP range
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mrpie123

Post by mrpie123 »

Thanks for the comment, but unfortunately this doesn't work. Not sure why, requests are not being sent from the router to the Pi to be queried. I was wondering if I had to go through to Advanced Setup > DNS > Add static DNS IP address there. And then if so, how would I go about choosing which profile/interface to apply it to? They're named horribly! P.S I'm using default factory router settings so haven't set any custom profile/interfaces on.

Hope you can help at all? :D Would love to get this to work!

Thanks
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

mrpie123 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:05 pm Thanks for the comment, but unfortunately this doesn't work. Not sure why, requests are not being sent from the router to the Pi to be queried. I was wondering if I had to go through to Advanced Setup > DNS > Add static DNS IP address there. And then if so, how would I go about choosing which profile/interface to apply it to? They're named horribly! P.S I'm using default factory router settings so haven't set any custom profile/interfaces on.

Hope you can help at all? :D Would love to get this to work!

Thanks
Try setting the PI server to the 'Advanced Setup >> DNS >> DNS >> Use the following Static DNS IP address' then restart any devices connected to the router (the first screen shot I added, (LAN DNS setup) should assign all clients a DNS server of your choosing once the client has been rebooted/or the IP address renewed)