8800AXL R2 Setup as router switch

Discussions for BiPAC 8800 series: 8800NL, 8800NLR2, 8800AXL, 8800AXLR2
egsw04

8800AXL R2 Setup as router switch

Post by egsw04 »

I would like to check that I have correctly configured my 8800AXL R2 to act as a router switch which also has wifi access enabled.

I seem to have this working okay at present having used settings suggested on the BT forum for a HH4.I am however aware that the Billion has so many more features that it might well be that I am not using them to best effect. I would appreciate any guidance that can be offered to ensure I have the best basic set-up.

I am connected to a BT adsl line through my main router (Billion 7800DXL). From this I have connected a TPlink switch which serves various peripherals including the 8800 via a cat 5e cable to another room. Thus the connection is not direct Billion to Billion but via a switch but thisseems to work okay. This cable is connected at P1 of the 8800 with ports 2-4 serving TV, Streamer and BlueRay player.

I have made minimal changes to the 8800 default settings ie assigned a static ip, turned off DHCP and changed wireless channels. However when previously using the BT HH4 it was recommended to turn off the firewall on this second router. It is not evident how I do this on the 8800, or indeed whether I need to? And it was with that in mind that I wondered what other settings should/could be changed in the 8800? It may be a coincidence but since setting this configuration up I have for the first time experienced occasional but recurrent buffering while streaming a Google Play TV series and this makes me wonder further about whether I have got my set-up right?

If anyone is able to chip in with constructive advice that would be great to have.
billion_fan

Re: 8800AXL R2 Setup as router switch

Post by billion_fan »

egsw04 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:56 am I would like to check that I have correctly configured my 8800AXL R2 to act as a router switch which also has wifi access enabled.

I seem to have this working okay at present having used settings suggested on the BT forum for a HH4.I am however aware that the Billion has so many more features that it might well be that I am not using them to best effect. I would appreciate any guidance that can be offered to ensure I have the best basic set-up.

I am connected to a BT adsl line through my main router (Billion 7800DXL). From this I have connected a TPlink switch which serves various peripherals including the 8800 via a cat 5e cable to another room. Thus the connection is not direct Billion to Billion but via a switch but thisseems to work okay. This cable is connected at P1 of the 8800 with ports 2-4 serving TV, Streamer and BlueRay player.

I have made minimal changes to the 8800 default settings ie assigned a static ip, turned off DHCP and changed wireless channels. However when previously using the BT HH4 it was recommended to turn off the firewall on this second router. It is not evident how I do this on the 8800, or indeed whether I need to? And it was with that in mind that I wondered what other settings should/could be changed in the 8800? It may be a coincidence but since setting this configuration up I have for the first time experienced occasional but recurrent buffering while streaming a Google Play TV series and this makes me wonder further about whether I have got my set-up right?

If anyone is able to chip in with constructive advice that would be great to have.
Your setup sounds good to me, all that is needed is to 'Disable the DHCP' set the router to different IP address so it does not match the 7800DXL, and configure the wireless.

Regarding the Google Play issue, does the same issue occur if connected to the 7800DXL, (I assume via wireless?)
egsw04

Post by egsw04 »

Thanks for that reassurance.

The Google Play I mentioned is actually the App installed on my Samsung TV which is wired to the 8800 (and thus switch connected to the 7800) so not using wifi for this TV hence my puzzlement at the buffering. Probably just a Google Play streaming issue over which I have no control! I had wondered if it might have been due to not turning off the 8800 firewall (as I had previously had to do this on the HH4 when used as a switch).
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

egsw04 wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:17 pm Thanks for that reassurance.

The Google Play I mentioned is actually the App installed on my Samsung TV which is wired to the 8800 (and thus switch connected to the 7800) so not using wifi for this TV hence my puzzlement at the buffering. Probably just a Google Play streaming issue over which I have no control! I had wondered if it might have been due to not turning off the 8800 firewall (as I had previously had to do this on the HH4 when used as a switch).
There is no need to turn off the firewall, the firewall is tagged to the WAN side, and you are not using the WAN side, (all routing is done by the 7800DXL, the 8800 is running like a wireless/hub switch)
egsw04

Post by egsw04 »

Hi again can I please get a bit of extra advice on date/time syncing.

Set-up as outlined in original question has proved totally reliable with one single exception. The Date/Time on the 8800AXL R2 does not automatically sync even though I have this set-up to do so in the Internet Time parameters section of the System menu. The tick box shows that it is enabled and with 4 of the NTP server addresses showing identical to those of the 7800DXL.

If I press the Sync button on the 8800 status menu it resolves to to the correct time. I am not aware that this is having any detrimental effect on anything so really would just like to get both units showing the same time if possible. The 7800 is running software 2.32e and the 8800 2.52 d13 which I thinks makes them up to date. The Host Names are however different (just noticed this) so don't know if that makes any difference.

Apart from this both units are just totally faultless in operation. The dark days of BT HHs and Netgear but a distant unpleasant memory.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

egsw04 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:53 am Hi again can I please get a bit of extra advice on date/time syncing.

Set-up as outlined in original question has proved totally reliable with one single exception. The Date/Time on the 8800AXL R2 does not automatically sync even though I have this set-up to do so in the Internet Time parameters section of the System menu. The tick box shows that it is enabled and with 4 of the NTP server addresses showing identical to those of the 7800DXL.

If I press the Sync button on the 8800 status menu it resolves to to the correct time. I am not aware that this is having any detrimental effect on anything so really would just like to get both units showing the same time if possible. The 7800 is running software 2.32e and the 8800 2.52 d13 which I thinks makes them up to date. The Host Names are however different (just noticed this) so don't know if that makes any difference.

Apart from this both units are just totally faultless in operation. The dark days of BT HHs and Netgear but a distant unpleasant memory.
This is because the 8800NL is not connecting to the internet (it does not obtain a WAN IP) it is working as a wireless hub switch at the moment. (just a passthrough device)

For the NTP servers to work the 8800NL has to obtain a WAN IP so it can update the time/date.

For your setup I would advise on using the sync button, and don't restart the 8800NL otherwise the time/date will reset.
egsw04

Post by egsw04 »

Thanks again for your helpful reply.