7800DXL/DX/VDOX SNR Tweak Table

billion_fan

Re: 7800DXL/DX/VDOX SNR Tweak Table

Post by billion_fan »

Tooros wrote:Could some help me out a little with this SNR tweak?
The table on page 1 here seems to make sense to me (in terms of what number = what value, rather than pure logic)

What I'm confused about is what am I aiming for?

I'm on BE.
I'm guessing they set 3,6 or 9.

Do I have to call them to ask what I'm set for?
Can I see it in the status on the router itself?

Assuming I discover what value I'm supposed to be at - what adjustment am I then aiming for? To get as close to what the ISP thinks I'm on or lower? That's the bit I'm a little fuzzy on.

Hope someone can help - Cheers.
The minimum SNR downstream on Be is 3db gaming profile (can be set via Be's website), you need to set the SNR to -1 (default on the Billion) and check your SNR reading (this will show you what BE have set your SNR too from there you can tweak/lower the SNR downstream value)

Once done then you tweak the SNR, to find the best speed and stability (all ADSL lines are different so you have find the best SNR settings to give the best connection speed with stability)

On a Be line you should be able to go as low 3db (sometimes even lower, you can test different values to see how low you can go and keep stability) as the 7800 can deal with this (on a stable line)

For example once set to -1 on the SNR page you get a SNR downstream value of 6db, once set to 3 on the SNR page you should get 3db SNR downstream, then leave it for a few days and see if it is stable (no ADSL drops outs) if it is stable you can then try 2.5 on the SNR page and see if that is stable etc.
Tooros

Post by Tooros »

Thanks - So if they've set me at 6db - should I aim for lower (say 3db with a SNR value of 3) with or aim for parity at 6db?

(I'm prepared for many hours flipping values until I get the best out of it but it's a starting target I'm confused at)
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Tooros wrote:Thanks - So if they've set me at 6db - should I aim for lower (say 3db with a SNR value of 3) with or aim for parity at 6db?

(I'm prepared for many hours flipping values until I get the best out of it but it's a starting target I'm confused at)
Yes you can give it ago, if needed you can ask Be to lower the target SNR downstream value (three options 3db, 6db and 9db) and you can start tweaking from there, using the table I posted.
swindphi

Post by swindphi »

Hi,

I'm very new to this so please bear with me. My SNR is 6.8 but the "tweak page" shows a value of "-1". Is this "1" or actually "minus 1"? If this is "1", does this mean that my SNR target set by TalkTalk is around "12 db" and TalkTalk has set "1" to give me an improved speed after phoning them (i.e.-5db off the target to give me the SNR of 6.8 that I have now) ?

I need to know this so that I can set the line up for a SNR of 3 db (i.e. to reduce the SNR by around 4 db which I know it will handle (was stable at between 2 and 3 with BT previously but with lower speed due to ADSL, as opposed to ADSL2+ and improved speed with TalkTalk.

Any help or assistance you can give would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Swindphi
tinytim

Post by tinytim »

I can only answer the first part of your question and that is that "-1" is actually the default ie no adjustment to SNR by the Billion.
wally3218

Post by wally3218 »

Hi guys thanks for a great forum.
I'm using a 7800NXL and wondering if it's ok to use this tweaking table on this modem in Australia.
The billion reps in Australia don't know of the extra SNR settings and say only settings are -1, 1,2,3,4,5,6
I've tried the SNR setting of 4092 and it's gave me higher sync and it's a stable connection
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

wally3218 wrote:Hi guys thanks for a great forum.
I'm using a 7800NXL and wondering if it's ok to use this tweaking table on this modem in Australia.
The billion reps in Australia don't know of the extra SNR settings and say only settings are -1, 1,2,3,4,5,6
I've tried the SNR setting of 4092 and it's gave me higher sync and it's a stable connection
Yep should be fine mate, I had to bug our engineers to get more info on the SNR tweak, hence the reason Australia might not have it or not tested SNR tweak further then 1-6.
Mardler

Post by Mardler »

Late to the party.

What values are used to increase the SNRM?

I've seen +1 for 7, +2 for 8 etc. - is this so?
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Mardler wrote:Late to the party.

What values are used to increase the SNRM?

I've seen +1 for 7, +2 for 8 etc. - is this so?
start at 9 for +3db, 12 for +6db etc don't use + values
Mardler

Post by Mardler »

Many thanks.

I only want to increase by 1 - so do I enter 7?

Edit:-
My first post was unclear. I should have said that my understanding was:-
Enter 7 for +1
Enter 8 for +2
etc.
which looks very close (identical?) to your info.
Last edited by Mardler on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.