Configuring 7800DXL in pure bridge mode

Antonio

Configuring 7800DXL in pure bridge mode

Post by Antonio »

Hello all,
may you help me in configuring my 7800DXL (with firmware 2.32e.dl6) in pure bridge mode (the 5 port switch function and the internal dual band AP function)?
Please note that I do not need any IP layer 3 services.
Thanks
Antonio
billion_fan

Re: Configuring 7800DXL in pure bridge mode

Post by billion_fan »

Antonio wrote:Hello all,
may you help me in configuring my 7800DXL (with firmware 2.32e.dl6) in pure bridge mode (the 5 port switch function and the internal dual band AP function)?
Please note that I do not need any IP layer 3 services.
Thanks
Antonio
Follow the attached screen shot, when set the 7800DXL will work as a dumb modem only, the device dialling in will establish a PPP connection and obtain a WAN IP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Antonio

Post by Antonio »

Dear billion_fan, thank you very much for your kind reply.
Please note that I do not need any dsl modem and layer 3 IP router related services.
I'm on FTTC and I MUST use my provider VDSL2 router to get phone service with Voip over VDSL2. I only want to use the 7800DXL as a simple "5 port layer 2 switch AND layer 2 dual band AP", if it is possible.
The DSL external port will be left empty and every layer 3 IP features have to be turned off (Nat, DHCP, firewall, etc).
Thanks
Best regards
Antonio
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Antonio wrote:Dear billion_fan, thank you very much for your kind reply.
Please note that I do not need any dsl modem and layer 3 IP router related services.
I'm on FTTC and I MUST use my provider VDSL2 router to get phone service with Voip over VDSL2. I only want to use the 7800DXL as a simple "5 port layer 2 switch AND layer 2 dual band AP", if it is possible.
The DSL external port will be left empty and every layer 3 IP features have to be turned off (Nat, DHCP, firewall, etc).
Thanks
Best regards
Antonio
Ok, what you need to do then is the following

1. Make sure the IP address of the 7800DXL does not conflict with your VDSL modem (so change the LAN IP if needed)
2. Disable the DHCP server on board the 7800DXL (Configuration >> LAN)
3. Plug a 'Ethernet' connection from your VDSL modem to any of the LAN ports on the 7800DXL
4. Restart any devices connected to the 7800DXL

With this setup your 7800DXL will now function like a AP/Hub Switch, so all routing etc will be done by your VDSL modem/router

PS the 7800DXL only has 4 ports
Antonio

Post by Antonio »

Dear billion_fan,
I tried your configuration and it worked fine :D .
May you consider to manually add, only in this mode, the Lan default gateway address to 7800DXL management to let it syncronize its internal time with Internet NTP servers?
So it will be possible to use even the Wireless Schedule Control feature...
Thank you very much for your efforts
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Antonio wrote:Dear billion_fan,
I tried your configuration and it worked fine :D .
May you consider to manually add, only in this mode, the Lan default gateway address to 7800DXL management to let it syncronize its internal time with Internet NTP servers?
So it will be possible to use even the Wireless Schedule Control feature...
Thank you very much for your efforts
Not possible unless you manually sync the time, (as it needs a WAN connection to obtain the time, but with your setup its working in passthrough mode)
Antonio

Post by Antonio »

Dear billion_fan,
I agree with you (if the device management does not have a default gateway address, it will never be able to sync its time to internet NTP servers).
May you tell me how to manually sync the time (eventually from the web interface or telnet) and/or add the default gateway address to my device management in Layer 2 passthrough mode?
Please note that I was very satisfied with my 7800DXL as an ADSL2+ gateway+AP, and I'm now satisfied as a managed Layer 2 switch+dual band AP.
Thank you very much for your kind and very professional support.