Using 7800DXL as a router with Sky Fibre

RazorBlade6288

Using 7800DXL as a router with Sky Fibre

Post by RazorBlade6288 »

Hi,

I have Sky Fibre and my current setup is a BT Openreach modem and the Billion 7800DXL which has been working fine for a year or so. The 7800DXL has LAN IP's, MAC filtering and Wireless all set up nicely. Previously my setup was the BT Openrech modem and the Sky Sagemcom 2504n router which didn't meet my needs of gigabit LAN and was very restrictive on settings.

I've recently noticed the speed of my Sky Fibre has dramatically decrease for no apparent reason. I need to contact Sky to get them to have a look and run some tests, however I can't do this with the 7000DXL connected.

What I would like to do (and need some help doing) is to re-setup the BT Openreach modem and Sky Sagemcom 250n router so Sky can run some tests but have these acting as a fibre modem with all my devices connecting to my 7800DXL and obtaning IP's from the 7800DXL and using the 7800DXL's wireless connection.

Can anyone help with what settings on both routers I need to change/set?

I've tried, but failed misserably and had the household shouting there's no internet :x I'm not sure if this is becuase I changed the 7800DXL's settings for the Sky Fibre username.

Thanks
billion_fan

Re: Using 7800DXL as a router with Sky Fibre

Post by billion_fan »

RazorBlade6288 wrote:Hi,

I have Sky Fibre and my current setup is a BT Openreach modem and the Billion 7800DXL which has been working fine for a year or so. The 7800DXL has LAN IP's, MAC filtering and Wireless all set up nicely. Previously my setup was the BT Openrech modem and the Sky Sagemcom 2504n router which didn't meet my needs of gigabit LAN and was very restrictive on settings.

I've recently noticed the speed of my Sky Fibre has dramatically decrease for no apparent reason. I need to contact Sky to get them to have a look and run some tests, however I can't do this with the 7000DXL connected.

What I would like to do (and need some help doing) is to re-setup the BT Openreach modem and Sky Sagemcom 250n router so Sky can run some tests but have these acting as a fibre modem with all my devices connecting to my 7800DXL and obtaning IP's from the 7800DXL and using the 7800DXL's wireless connection.

Can anyone help with what settings on both routers I need to change/set?

I've tried, but failed misserably and had the household shouting there's no internet :x I'm not sure if this is becuase I changed the 7800DXL's settings for the Sky Fibre username.

Thanks
I can't help with the Sky Sagemcom 250n setup.

But once you can get it going all you should need to do is the following

1. Make sure the Sky Sagemcom 250n and 7800DXL LAN IP is on a different subnet range eg Sky Sagemcom 250n = 192.168.1.x Billion = 192.168.2.x
2.Make sure the 7800DXL has the ETH WAN connection set to "IP Over Ethernet" without the "Client ID option 61" section filled in. (as you Sky Sagemcom 250n is now the primary router, so Sky can run their tests)

As you now have the Sky Sagemcom 250n running as your Primary WAN device, the Sky Sagemcom 250n should assign a private IP address to the 7800DXL. (this is the only way you can continue to use the 7800DXL while having all of Sky equipment active)
RazorBlade6288

Post by RazorBlade6288 »

Thanks for the tip. I will look at trying this over the weekend and report back.

Do you know if DHCP needs to be disabled on the Sky router or the Billion router? I want the Billion router to set all IP's on the network.

Thanks once again.
RazorBlade6288

Post by RazorBlade6288 »

Success!

For anyone else in a similar situations, the steps I followed after some trial and error:

1). Restore Sky router to default settings.
2). Disabled Sky WiFi, changed router password, and a few other personal settings.
3). Left DHCP server enabled on Sky router.
4). Took backup of Sky router settings.
5). Took backup of Billion 7800DXL router settings.
6). 7800DXL -> Configuration -> WAN -> WAN Service -> Removed my existing Sky eth0.1 settings.
7). Added a new ETH Interface, with WAN port as Ethernet and everything else as default.
8). Leave the WiFi and DHCP server running on my 7800DXL.
9). Took backup of Billion 7800DXL router settings.
10). Connected the Sky router to the BT Openreach modem and then to my 7800DXl.
11). Rebooted both routers.

Able to get the internet and connect to both router setting sites and IP addresses have been assigned from the 7800DXL and using the 7800DXL WiFi.

Hope this helps someone else.