Increase SNR?

phreder

Increase SNR?

Post by phreder »

I've seen the thread on decreasing SNR. Is it possible to increase it?

I take it the article at;

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/feature ... x-routers/

is incorrect.
billion_fan

Re: Increase SNR?

Post by billion_fan »

phreder wrote:I've seen the thread on decreasing SNR. Is it possible to increase it?

is incorrect.
You are right the SNR table is incorrect on the link you provided

You can start with a SNR value of 9 and keep increasing it eg 10, 11, 12 etc, until you reach your desired SNR

Attached is the correct table
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
phreder

Post by phreder »

billion_fan wrote:
phreder wrote:I've seen the thread on decreasing SNR. Is it possible to increase it?

is incorrect.

You can start with a SNR value of 9 and keep increasing it eg 10, 11, 12 etc, until you reach your desired SNR

Yup, that's the table I saw elsewhere on the forum. I'm not sure what you mean, though. Is that entering values of 9,10,11 etc. to the config box will increase the SNR on the 7800DXL - values not in the table? At the moment I've been given a SNR of 3 by the DLM and wondering how a higher setting would run.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

phreder wrote:
billion_fan wrote:

is incorrect.

Yup, that's the table I saw elsewhere on the forum. I'm not sure what you mean, though. Is that entering values of 9,10,11 etc. to the config box will increase the SNR on the 7800DXL - values not in the table? At the moment I've been given a SNR of 3 by the DLM and wondering how a higher setting would run.
The table I created is for lowering the SNR (not a lot of people want to manually higher the SNR, as you can imagine)

Hence the suggestion of trying 9 (hoping you get +3db)
phreder

Post by phreder »

Ah, I get it. Thanks for that.

I'll allow a little more time to see how the line settles. Just reached the end of the 10 day initial period.

Thank you.
gatekeeper

Post by gatekeeper »

As someone who has been in your position in times past (ie. wanting to increase the target SNR, rather than just leaving it at default or decreasing it) and who has, on different occasions, successfully used the SNR tweaking facility in Billion routers, I can confirm that what billion_fan has advised is correct. That's to say, if you input a value of 9 into the 'SNR tweak box' of your 7800 you will increase the target SNR by 3dB. This means that if, let's say, your SNR was initially 6dB, inputting a value of 9 and allowing the 7800 to resync the line should result in a new target SNR of 9dB. Inputting the value 12 should boost the initial SNR by 6dB; inputting 15 will boost it by 9dB. Generally, these values assume a starting SNR of 6dB.

You can try values in between these, to fine-tune the SNR if you wish, but don't go mad and insert any values outside the range 7 - 15. Values below 7, by the way, are meant for decreasing the SNR. Remember that if you do screw things up there's always the reset button on the back of the router (the tiny one that's recessed and where you'll need a narrow probe of some sort to depress it), allowing you to get back to the default 6dB.

You don't need to wait days and days between each attempt. Normally, it takes just a minute or two for the line to resync and settle out after a tweak, and so if the SNR still isn't exactly at the value you need, simply insert a new number into the box and try again, immediately.
phreder

Post by phreder »

That clarifies things nicely, thank you. Filed for future reference!

I should probably add that I started this thread because I've just changed ISP and that's what I'm allowing a little extra time for rather than any SNR changes made by me. Presumably if I did want to return to default I could just enter -1.
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

phreder wrote:That clarifies things nicely, thank you. Filed for future reference!

I should probably add that I started this thread because I've just changed ISP and that's what I'm allowing a little extra time for rather than any SNR changes made by me. Presumably if I did want to return to default I could just enter -1.
Yep -1 is default (meaning your ISP will set the SNR)