FTTH ready?

Tooros

FTTH ready?

Post by Tooros »

Hi All,

I'm about to jump from 2.5 Mbps to BT infinity 3 @ 200Mbps.

I'm dreading the homehub 5. :(

I cannot get a definitive answer for the modem part of these routers. BT no longer offer a separate openreach router - the HH5 is combined router/modem AFAIK.

Is the modem in the 7800 FTTH ready or will it throttle to 100Mbps FTTC levels?

I'll try and argue for a modem as part of the install but - I'm guessing it might be a stretch too far for Mr BT/Openreach.

I sort of know enough to be dangerous in terms of ADSL set ups but this is all new to me. I'm still sweating at the prospect of OTN installation as power sockets are scarce in my house.

Hope there's a simple answer out there.

Cheers.
billion_fan

Re: FTTH ready?

Post by billion_fan »

Tooros wrote:Hi All,

I'm about to jump from 2.5 Mbps to BT infinity 3 @ 200Mbps.

I'm dreading the homehub 5. :(

I cannot get a definitive answer for the modem part of these routers. BT no longer offer a separate openreach router - the HH5 is combined router/modem AFAIK.

Is the modem in the 7800 FTTH ready or will it throttle to 100Mbps FTTC levels?

I'll try and argue for a modem as part of the install but - I'm guessing it might be a stretch too far for Mr BT/Openreach.

I sort of know enough to be dangerous in terms of ADSL set ups but this is all new to me. I'm still sweating at the prospect of OTN installation as power sockets are scarce in my house.

Hope there's a simple answer out there.

Cheers.
You might want to check the following link

http://tom.goskar.com/2013/09/20/my-fib ... on-part-1/
Tooros

Post by Tooros »

Hi. I've seen that before but it's a little old now. It's also unclear if it's before the hh5 with integrated modem. If there's and external modem (still) then I'm laughing. :)
If not, my question still stands. :)
billion_fan

Post by billion_fan »

Tooros wrote:Hi. I've seen that before but it's a little old now. It's also unclear if it's before the hh5 with integrated modem. If there's and external modem (still) then I'm laughing. :)
If not, my question still stands. :)
From looking at the link, a openreach modem will be installed, then you can use your own external router, in this case it was a HH3.

(I have limited information on FTTP installations, so the setup might of changed, so it might be worth waiting for the installation to complete, so you can see what is installed and what can be changed etc then make a judgement on what will be needed to fit your demands)

I am using the 8900AX-2400 with Virgin Media 200mbps, and it can handle the speeds through the EWAN port without any issues.
Tooros

Post by Tooros »

Thanks BF :)

That's exactly what I want to hear. For anyone else looking in - I'll update, with some images, the whole installation hardware set up - when it's done.